Kathleen M Vernon
Associate Professor and Chair
Frank Melville, Jr. Memorial Library N3022, (631) 632-9668
Kathleen Vernon’s teaching and research focus on contemporary Spanish and Latin American cinema, literature and popular culture. She is the author of numerous studies on Hispanic cinema from the 1930s to the present, with special focus on musical and historical film, melodrama and stardom, documentary and women’s cinema and is co-editor of the first English language journal devoted to Spanish and Latin American film, Studies in Hispanic Cinemas. Her work in progress includes participation in two collective international research projects, An Oral History of Cinema-Going in 1940s and 50s Spain, and Film, Fashion and Photography in 1940s and 50s Spain. She is also working on a series of studies devoted to the role of sound and voice in Spanish-language cinema. Currently Chair of Hispanic Languages & Literature, she is also an affiliate of Women’s and Gender Studies, the Latin American and Caribbean Studies Center and the Department of Cultural Analysis and Theory.
Recent courses taught:
- SPN 612 Mexican Cinema
- SPN 532 Hispanic Crime Fiction
- SPN 510 Contemporary Spanish Culture and Society
- HUS 254 Latin America Today
Selected recent publications:
- “Sound and Gender,” The Routledge Companion to Cinema and Gender. Eds. E. Ann Kaplan, Patrice Petro, Kristin Hole and Dijana Jelača. Abingdon, Oxfordshire: Routledge, 2016, 47-57.
- “The Voice of Comedy: Gracita Morales,” Performance and Spanish Film. Eds. Dean Albritton, Alejandro Melero Salvador and Tom Whittaker. Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2016, 76-95.
- “Women, Fashion and the Spanish Civil War: From the Fashion Parade to the Victory Parade,” The “New Woman: International Representations in Photography and Film from the 1870s through the 1960s. Eds. Elizabeth Otto and Vanessa Rocco. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press, 2011, 273-290.
- “Soundtrack,” A Companion to Spanish Cinema. Eds. Tatjana Pavlovic and Jo Labanyi. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 2012, 370-388. Co-author with Román Gubern.
- “Almodóvar’s Global Musical Marketplace,” A Companion to Pedro Almodóvar. Eds. Marvin D’Lugo and Kathleen M. Vernon. London: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 2013, 387-411.
Publications available here in PDF:
Dinámicas Culturales de la Cuba de Hoy
Conference on novelist Leonardo Padura
Melville Library N3060
Click image for full schedule
Conference by Equatorial Guinean-Spanish writer and journalist
Introduction by Prof. Benita Sampedro (Hofstra Univ.)
April 27th, 3 pm in
Melville Library N3060
Free and open to the public
GRUPO DE LECTURA
H. Lefebvre, Critique de la vie quotidienneMartes 4 de mayo, 2017, 11.30-12.45
contact: Prof. Aurélie Vialette
More info on more meetings
CAFÉ LATINO spring 2017All Wed 1 to 2 pm (starting Feb 8)
in our Department (Melville Library N3021)
Spanish Conversation and free café
Open to all students, all levels of Spanish
Se les invita un rico cafecito y a conversar sobre la vida.