Pursue Deeper Understanding
Students must complete advanced studies in three of four distinct areas. These areas are:
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM+)
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS+)
- Humanities and Fine Arts (HFA+)
- Experiential Learning (EXP+)
Students will typically complete this requirement by taking individual courses at the 200-400 level which have been certified as satisfying one of the above areas. As with other requirements, such certified courses may also be applied to the student's major or minor, or they may be part of a specially designed themed cluster or dual-certified course.
In all cases, courses certified as fulfilling the Pursue Deeper Understanding requirement will build upon skills and knowledge acquired in the Versatility courses, having students study or practice these in greater depth.
- Courses meeting the STEM+ requirement will typically have prerequisites from the Master Quantitative Problem Solving (QPS), Study the Natural World (SNW), or Understand Technology (TECH) areas. Such courses will require students to cover material in the STEM area at deeper level than the introductory Versatility courses.
- Courses meeting the HFA+ requirement will usually have prerequisites from Address Problems using Critical Analysis and Methods of the Humanities (HCA), Explore and Understand the Fine and Performing Arts (ARTS), or Communicate in a Language other than English (LANG). Such courses will require students to cover material in the humanities or fine arts at a deeper level than the introductory Versatility courses. Students may satisfy the HFA+ requirement by completing an introductory course in a language other than English and not previously used to satisfy the LANG Versatility requirement.
- Courses meeting the SBS+ requirement will typically have prerequisites drawn from the areas of Understand, Observe, and Analyze Human Behavior and the Structure and Functioning of Society (HBS), Understand the Political, Social, and Cultural History of the United States (USA), or Engage Global Issues (GLO). Such courses will require students to cover material in social and behavioral sciences at a deeper level than the introductory Versatility courses.
- Courses meeting the EXP+ requirement will have prerequisites drawn from any area, and will engage students in a “beyond the classroom” experience. This option is discussed in more detail below.
Learning Outcomes for “Pursue Advanced Knowledge”
1. Students must use the skills expected from their Versatility courses to study and practice them in greater depth, with further study applied to the area in which they are certified.
Standards for “Pursue Advanced Knowledge”
1. Certified courses must expect students to practice the skills they learned in their Versatility courses in greater depth. These courses must have prerequisites from among the Versatility categories and will typically be at the 200-400 level.