(Ph.D, Indiana University, 1996)
Assistant Professor with tenure
Director, Foreign Language Teacher Preparation
Office 1055 - Humanities Building 631-632-7440
Office Hours: Mon. 2-4, Tues. 9-10 & by appt.
Foreign Language Pedagogy
Second Language Acquisition
- UISFL (Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Languages) Grant, 2014-2016
- Department of Education funding (Grant #: P016A140005: $175,464) for “Developing and Strengthening Advanced Level Language Study” at Stony Brook University
- StarTalk Grant, 2015
- This grant, $86,000, allowed Stony Brook University to offer four less-commonly-taught, critical needs languages, Arabic, Persian, Turkish & Korean, beginning level (intensive, 6 credit, summer 2015) and intermediate level (2015-2016). It also funded 16 full tuition scholarships for these summer courses.
- IITG (Innovative Instructional Technology Grant), SUNY, 2014-2015
- State University of New York (SUNY) funding ($20,000) for “Building Innovative Open Korean and Japanese Courses,” 2014-2015
- StarTalk Grant, 2014
- This grant, $86,000, allowed Stony Brook University to offer three less-commonly-taught, critical needs languages, Arabic, Persian & Turkish, beginning level (intensive, 6 credit, summer 2014) and intermediate level (2014-2015). It also funded 15 full tuition scholarships for these summer courses.
- SUNY-CRUE Language Teacher Training Partnership Grant, 2010-2013.
- This grant established Stony Brook as one of four SUNY campuses to coordinate exchanges of teacher candidates between New York State and Spain. Ten Stony Brook students received year-long full scholarships (airfare, room, board, tuition), paid through the Santander Bank Foundation, to Spanish universities. The value of each scholarship was approximately $20,000.
Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Palmes Académiques, 2010.
- “Knight in the Order of Academic Palms”; This award is presented by the French Government for contributions to the expansion of French language and culture.
Valdman, A., Pons, C., Scullen, M.E. & Jourdain, S. 2002. Chez Nous: Branché sur le monde francophone, 2nd Ed. NJ: Prentice Hall. (1st year college French textbook)
2. Articles (selected)
Jourdain, S. (to appear, 2015, Vol. 90(1)). New French Fairy Tales for Developing Literacy and Cultural Awareness. The French Review.
- Chen, Julian & Jourdain, Sarah. 2015. Implementing STARTALK-endorsed Principles in an Intensive Summer LCTL Program: Challenges and Implications. Journal of the National Council of Less Commonly Taught Languages, 17: 103-132. https://doaj.org/toc/1930-9031
- Gascoigne, C., Jourdain, S. & Wong, W. 2010. Reflections on Grammar Instruction in the Preparation of TAs and Part-time Instructors. NECTFL Review, 65: 8-21.
- Jourdain, S. 2009. Action Research in the Constructivist Model for Language Teacher Education. In. M. Anderson & A. Lazaraton (Eds.), Bridging Contexts, Making Connections, Selected Papers from the Fifth International Conference on Language Teacher Education (pp. 43-59). Minneapolis, MN: Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA), CARLA Working Papers Series.
Jourdain, S. & Sanou, P. 2009. Integrating Action Research into Pre-Service Coursework. The NCLRC Language Resource Newsletter, March13(2): 2, and on-line at:
- Jourdain, S. 2006. Developing Pen pal / Key pal Partnerships. New York State Association of Foreign Language Teachers (NYSAFLT) Language Association Journal, 57(3): 15-18.
- Jourdain, S. 2006. La Route de la Soie. Le Français dans le Monde, No 345 : 80-81.
- Jourdain, S. & Scullen, M.E. 2002. A Pedagogical Norm for Circumlocution in French. In S. Gass, K. Bardovi-Harlig, S. Magnan & J. Walz (Eds.), Pedagogical Norms for Second and Foreign Language Learning and Teaching (pp. 221-239). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Jourdain, Sarah. 2000. A Native-Like Ability to Circumlocute. The Modern Language Journal, 84(ii): 185-195.
- Scullen, Mary Ellen & Jourdain, Sarah. 2000. The Effect of Explicit Training on Successful Circumlocution: A Classroom Study. In James Lee and Albert Valdman (Eds.), Form and Meaning: Multiple Perspectives (pp. 231-53). Boston, MA: Heinle & Heinle.
- Jourdain, Sarah. 1998. Building Connections to Culture: A Student-Centered Approach. Foreign Language Annals, 31(3): 439-450.
- Jourdain, Sarah & Schuler, Marilyn. 1998. Morte la bête noire: Two techniques for teaching the French /R/. The French Review, 72(2): 216-228.
3. Ancillaries & websites
- Activities to facilitate classroom creation of collaborative fairy tales in French. Available at:
- Activities to facilitate classroom use of Jean Giono’s short story L’homme qui plantait des arbres. Available at: http://mysbfiles.stonybrook.edu/~sjourdain/Giono-arbres.htm
- Activities to facilitate classroom discovery of the “Silk Road.” Available at: http://mysbfiles.stonybrook.edu/~sjourdain/la_route_de_la_soie.htm
Jourdain, S. 2002. Chez Nous Video Activities Manual, 2nd Ed. NJ: Prentice Hall.
Jourdain, S. 2002. Chez Nous Test Bank, 2nd Ed. NJ: Prentice Hall.
Jourdain, Sarah & Cross, Jocelyne. 1997. Chez Nous Video Activities Manual. (Accompanies the textbook Chez Nous, 1st Ed. by A. Valdman & C. Pons). NJ: Prentice Hall.
Courses Taught at Stony Brook
- Methods and Materials of Foreign Language Teaching (undergraduate and graduate levels), FLA 339 & FLA 505
- Curriculum Development for Language Teaching (undergraduate and graduate levels), FLA 340 & FLA 506
- Field Experience, FLA 449, 450, 549, 550
- Foreign Language Acquisition Research (undergraduate and graduate levels)
- Student Teaching Seminar (undergraduate and graduate), FLA 440 & FLA 540
- Independent Teaching Projects (graduate level), FLA 581
- Introductory French I & II, Intermediate French I & II, FRN 111, 112, 211, 212
- Accelerated Intermediate French, FRN 201
- French Conversation & French Composition (majors & minors), FRN 311 & FRN 312
- Advanced French Stylistics (undergraduate and graduate levels), FRN 412 & FRN 507
- Business French (undergraduate and graduate levels), FRN 410 & FRN 511
- French Phonetics and Applied Linguistics (undergraduate and graduate levels), FRN 411 & FRN 510