Instructions for MA & PhD Applicants
- January 15 (Fall matriculation)
- October 15 (Spring Matriculation--MA only)
Applications must be submitted on-line through the Graduate School. Required components of the application package include:
- A statement of purpose. Here's one of many on-line resources offering advice on how to compose personal statements.
- GRE scores. (Students whose first language is not English must also submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language TOEFL).
- A writing sample of approximately 10 pages (for MA applicants) or 20 pages (for PhD applicants), to be uploaded under supplemental materials.
- 3 Letters of recommendation. You should solicit these from current or former instructors or persons otherwise qualified to comment on your academic performance and potential for graduate study. Please request that your recommenders submit their letters through the on-line system (this option will be available to you as you complete the application). Please note, we only accept Letters of Recommendation through Apply Yourself.
- Electronic copies of unofficial transcripts from each education institution you have attended (use the link in the application system for uploading transcripts).
- Submitting all your application materials online will save paper and expedite the review process. Accordingly, the only item that needs to be sent as a hard copy is your official transcripts, as required by the Graduate School. Please have these mailed to:
Graduate Program Coordinator
Department of English
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-5350