Student membership in Sigma Tau Delta is an outward recognition of personal accomplishment and signifies that those involved in Sigma Tau Delta have achieved the Society’s high standards of academic excellence. Members of Sigma Tau Delta include famous authors such as Neil Gaiman, Azar Nafisi, Poet Laureate Kay Ryan, Natasha Trethewey, and Ursula Le Guin. Benefits of membership include, but are not limited to:
- Members receive a personalized Sigma Tau Delta membership certificate and the official Society pin to signify high achievement in English language, writing, and literature.
- Members are eligible to apply for a variety of Sigma Tau Delta scholarships valued at up to $5,000 each.
- Members are eligible to apply for a merit-based $1,000 scholarship to attend The Fund for American Studies (TFAS) Summer Institute or Capital Semester. This scholarship is available to one Sigma Tau Delta member per year through a partnership with the TFAS and the Association of College Honor Societies.
Writing Awards and Opportunities
- Members may submit papers for publication in The Sigma Tau Delta Rectangle and The Sigma Tau Delta Review. Works selected for publication are also eligible for overall awards and monetary prizes.
- Members may submit articles to Sigma Tau Delta’s online publications, The Sigma Tau Delta Newsletter and WORDY by Nature, the official Sigma Tau Delta blog.
- Members may submit articles to Sigma Tau Delta’s regional publications, where available.
Benefits also include: internship, student leadership, and community service opportunities; an invitation to attend the annual Sigma Tau Delta convention; and lifetime affiliation and fellowship.
Department of English, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-5350 - Undergraduate: 631 632-7400 | Graduate: 631 632-7373