EXPLOSION / BOMB THREAT
Approximately 70% of terrorist events involve the use of explosives. Explosives can be used to disperse other hazardous materials. Types of explosions include:
If you receive a bomb threat via telephone:
- Remain Calm
- Take note of the time of call
- Write down the words of the caller
- Keep them on the phone by asking questions like:
- When is this going to take place?
- Where is it located?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- Take note of the callers voice and background noises
- Call 911 or have someone close by call 911 from any campus phone
Upon discovery of a potential explosive device:
- If a suspicious delivery is spotted, do not touch it, and don't allow anyone else to touch it.
- Evacuate the area.
- During evacuation, leave doors and windows open.
- Keep people away from the area.
- CALL University Police. Dial 911
- Do not handle the suspicious object, and do not try to carry it outside.
- Do not place the item in water.