Mark R. Montgomery
N-609 Social and Behavioral Sciences Building
- Applied Econometrics
- Advanced Econometrics
- Economic Demography
- "The Urban Transformation of the Developing World,"Science, February 8, 2008. Vol. 319, no.5864, pp. 761-764.
- "Urban health in developing countries: An overview" (with Alex Ezeh), in Sandro Galea and David Vlahov (editors), Handbook of Urban Health: Populations, Methods, and Practice, New York: Kluwer (forthcoming, 2005).
- "Developing-country urban health: Insights from demographic theory and practice" (with Alex Ezeh), in Sandro Galea and David Vlahov (editors), Handbook of Urban Health: Populations, Methods, and Practice, New York: Kluwer (forthcoming, 2005).
- "Urban poverty and health in developing countries: Household and neighborhood effects," (with Paul C. Hewett), Policy Research Division Working Paper no. 184. New York: Population Council, 2004.
- Cities Transformed: Demographic Change and Its Implications in the Developing World. National Research Council, Panel on Urban Population Dynamics, Mark R. Montgomery, Richard Stren, Barney Cohen, and Holly E. Reed (editors). Washington, D.C.: National Research Council, 2003.
- "Social networks and contraceptive dynamics in southern Ghana," (with Gebre-Egziabher Kiros, Dominic Agyeman, John B. Casterline, Peter Aglobitse, and Paul C. Hewett),Policy Research Division Working Paper no. 153. New York: Population Council, 2001.
- "Poverty and public services in developing-country cities," (with Hewett, Paul), Policy Research Division Working Paper no. 154. New York: Population Council, 2001.
- "Measuring Living Standards with Proxy Variables," (with Michele Gragnolati, Kathleen Burke, and Edmundo Paredes),Demography, 2000, 37(2): 155-174.
- "Perceiving mortality decline." Population and Development Review 26(4): 795-820, 2000.
- "The quantity-quality transition in Asia" (with Mary Arends-Kuenning and Cem Mete). In Cyrus Chu and Ronald Lee (editors), Population and Development Review, Supplement to volume 26, 223-256, 2000.
- "Social networks and the diffusion of fertility control in Korea" (with Woojin Chung). In Richard Leete (ed.) Dynamics of Values in Fertility Change. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- "Learning and Lags in Mortality Perceptions," in Mark Montgomery and Barney Cohen (editors), From Death to Birth: Mortality Decline and Reproductive Change, Washington DC: National Academy Press, 1998.
- "Social Influence, Social Learning, and New Models of Fertility," in John Casterline, Ronald Lee, and Karen Foote (eds.), Fertility in the United States: New Patterns, New Theories, Supplement to Population and Development Review, 22(1): 151-175, 1996.
- "The diffusion of fertility control in Taiwan: Estimates from pooled cross-section, time-series models'' (with John Casterline). Population Studies 47(3): 457-479, 1993.
- "Urban poverty and health in developing countries: Household and neighborhood effects" (with Paul Hewett). Policy Research Division Working Paper no. 184, New York: Population Council, 2004.
Grants, Honors, and Awards
- "Social Learning, Social Influence, and the Diffusion of Fertility Control," National Institutes of Health, 1997-2001.
- Co-chair, U.S. National Academy of Sciences Panel on Urban Population Dynamics, 1999-2003.
- Chair, Scientific Panel on Urbanization, International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (IUSSP), 2004-.