ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AND DIRECTOR OF UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES
S-649 Social and Behavioral Sciences Building
- Labor Economics
- Computational Economics
- Dynamic Models and Computational Methods in Economics and Econometrics
- Advanced Research in Labor and Health Economics
- Applied Microeconomics
- Intermediate Microeconomics
- Advanced Labor Theory
- Basic Computational Methods in Economics
- Environmental Economics and Natural Resource Management
- "An Empirical Analysis of the Social Security Disability Application, Appeal, and Award Process," (with M. Buchinsky, H-M. Chan, J. Rust, and S. Sheidvasser) Labour Economics, 6, 147-178, 1999.
- "How Large is the Bias in Self-Reported Disability Status?", (with M. Buchinsky, H-M. Chan, J. Rust, and S. Sheidvasser),Journal of Applied Econometrics, Vol. 19-6, 649-670, 2004.
- "The Rationality of Retirement Expectations and the Role of New Information," (with Debra S. Dwyer), Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 87-3, 587-592, 2005.
- "Expectation Formation of Older Married Couples and the Rational Expectations Hypothesis," (with Debra S. Dwyer),Labour Economics, Vol. 13-2 191-218, 2006.
- "The Educated Russian's Curse: Returns to Education in the Russian Federation during the 1990s," (with Sofia Cheidvasser), LABOUR: Review of Labour Economics and Industrial Relations, Vol. 21(1) 1-41, 2007.
- "The Social Security Earnings Test Revisited: Information as a Work Incentive," (with Frank Heiland). Journal of Policy Analysis and Management (JPAM), Vol. 26(3) 527-555, 2007. Plus and appendix available in the online version.
- "Expectations in Micro Data: Rationality Revisited " (with Deb Dwyer, Wayne-Roy Gayle, and Tom Muench), Empirical Economics, Vol. 34-2 381-416, 2008.
- "Health Status and Health Dynamics in an Empirical Model of Expected Longevity" (with Huan Ni), Journal of Health Economics, Vol. 27-3 564-584, 2008.
- "Early Claiming of Social Security Benefits and Labor Supply Behavior of Older Americans," (with Frank Heiland), Applied Economics, Vol. 40-23, 2969-2985, 2008.
- "An Empirical Study of the Effects of Social Security Reforms on Claiming Behavior and Benefits Receipt Using Public-Use Administrative Micro Data," (with Na Yin), Social Security Bulletin-Perspectives, Vol. 69-3, 77-95, 2009.
- ``Using the Health and Retirement Study to Analyze Housing Decisions, Housing Values, and Housing Prices,'' (2010), with Selcuk Eren, Frank Heiland, and Sergi Jimenez-Martin.Cityscape: A Journal of Policy Development and Research,Vol. 12-2, 149-158, 2010.
- ``Disability, Capacity for Work, and the Business Cycle: An International Perspective,'' with Richard Disney, and Sergi Jimenez-Martin. Economic Policy, Vol 25, issue 63, 483-536, 2010.
- ``The Effects of Automobiles Recalls on the Severity of Accidents,'' (2010) with Yong-Kyun Bae. Accepted for publication in Economic Inquiry , 2010.
- "Do Vehicle Recalls Reduce the Number of Accidents? The Case of the U.S. Car Market," with Yong-Kyun Bae (Hood College), (2010). Accepted for publication in the by Journal of Policy Analysis and Management (JPAM)..
- "How Large are the Classification Errors in the Social Security Disability Award Process?" (with M. Buchinsky, and J. Rust) NBER WP 10219. Revision Requested by Econometrica.
- "Induced Entry Effects of a $1 for $2 Offset in SSDI Benefits," (with M. Buchinsky and J. Rust), revision requested by JPAM, Journal of Policy Analysis and Management.
- "Labor Supply Flexibility and Portfolio Choice: An Empirical Analysis," revision requested by the Journal of Applied Econometrics.
- "Job Search Behavior of Older Americans," (2010), second revision requested by LABOUR.
- "How well do Individuals predict the Selling Prices of their Homes?" with Selcuk Eren, Frank Heiland, and Sergi Jimenez-Martin (2010). Submitted to the , Journal of Policy Analysis and Management.
- "Dynamic Models of Retirement and Disability," (with M. Buchinsky and J. Rust).
- "The Annuity Puzzle Revisited," 2004.
- "Micro Determinants of Labor Force Status Among Older Americans," 2000.
Grants, Honors, and Awards
- RecerCaixa 2013 with the project: Promoting the labour market integration of disabled workers: a policy evaluation exercise for Spain,'' with Sergi Jimenez-Martin and Judit Vall Castello. March 2014-December 2015. 71,670 Euros.
- FIPROS 2011 Research Awards (First Prize), Spanish Ministry of Labor and Immigration. Social Security Administration. Employment Uncertainty and Retirement in Spain. A Comparative Analysis and Reform Evaluation, with J. Ignacio Garcia-Perez, and Sergi Jimenez-Martin. September 2011-September 2012. 30,000 Euros.
- NIH-NIA: 2004-2009.
- Michigan Retirement Research Center: 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2005-2006, 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2010-2011.
- Seed Grant for Survey Research, V.P. for Research at Stony Brook: 2007, 2010.
- ERIU-RWJ: 2003-2005
- TIAA-CREF Institute: 2001-2002, and 2002-2003
- Steven H. Sandell Grant for Junior Scholars in Retirement Research, Center for Retirement Research, Boston College, 2001-2002.
- Individual Development Award, SUNY-Stony Brook, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006.
- John Perry Miller Summer Grant, Summer 2000.
- Carl Anderson Prize Fellowship, Spring 2000.
- Yale Dissertation Fellowship, Fall 1999.
- Referee for American Economic Review, Econometrica,,National Science Foundation, Review of Economics and Statistics, Journal of Applied Econometrics, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, Journal of Human Resources, Journal of Labor Economics, Labour Economics, Health Economics,Journal of Population Economics, Journal of Public Economics,Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Applied Economics , LABOUR ,Journal of Macroeconomics, Fiscal Studies, and Journal of Economic Dyanmics and Control .
- Member, Organizing Committee for the 7th International Conference of the Society of Computational Economics.