Events at the Center
Research Café - Wednesday, January 7, 2015 at 12:30 pm. Jesse John, PhD student in the Department of Geosciences, will present the 'Investigations of a Functional Nano Mineral for Remediating High Level Nuclear Waste'. Lunch will be provided. RSVP: http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/cie/researchcafe.html
Dissertation & Fellowship Writing Boot Camp - MULTIPLE DATES - Fridays, January 9, 16, 23, 30 at 8:00 to 11:00 am. Light breakfast will be served and a quiet space will be provided for you to write your dissertation, thesis, fellowship and/or grant proposals. You will have access to a Wi-Fi network and printer. Writing support will be provided upon request. You are not required to attend all sessions and you may utilize all or a portion of the time allotted. RSVP: http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/cie/events/DissertationWriting.html
Faculty Diversity Search Information Session - Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 1:00 pm. If you are considering the possibility of a career in K-12 education and/or educational leadership after graduation, join us for this lunchtime information session about Faculty Diversity Search. RSVP: http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/cie/events/nycindependentschools.html
CIE January Social - Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:00 pm. Event details are forthcoming. RSVP: http://ow.ly/GPO3k
Conferences, Forums and Networking Opportunities
Participate in this year’s Flame Challenge: http://www.centerforcommunicatingscience.org/the-flame-challenge-2/flame-challenge-2015/. The SBU Alda Center for Communicating Science invites scientists to explain “what is sleep?” to an 11-year-old. Deadline to participate is Friday, February 13, 2015. Winners will receive a $1,000 prize and recognition at the American Science Festival in May. For additional information, contact Connie Conway at 631.632.1069 or email@example.com.
Join the National Postdoctoral Association: http://ow.ly/sjPc7. The NPA is pleased to offer the Affiliate Membership to students, postdocs, faculty and employees at NPA Sustaining Member institutions. The Affiliate Membership allows individuals at selected Sustaining Member institutions to enjoy some of the same benefits as NPA Full Members.
Join the CIE group on LinkedIn: http://ow.ly/y5qBS. Looking to get a head start on your job search? Join together with over 300 current and past CIE scholars, alumni and colleagues in higher education. LinkedIn is the main social media site used for sharing job postings, networking events and other professional development opportunities that come across the desks of our CIE staff members.
Office of University Community Standards - Hearing Board Membership 2014-2015. The Office of University Community Standards, in conjunction with the Office of Residential Community Standards, is currently accepting student applications for membership on our Hearing Boards. The mission of the Office of University Community Standards is to support the University's educational goals by promoting a just, safe, orderly, civil and positive University climate for learning, both inside and outside the classroom, through behavioral standards, disciplinary processes, trainings and intervention efforts. Applications and more information are available online at: http://studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/ucs/volunteer.shtml.
Fellowships and Career Opportunities (Including Postdoc)
Saint Michael’s College - The Department of Biology at Saint Michael’s College invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position for an assistant professor of biology starting in the 2015-2016 academic year. The successful candidate will be expected to participate in the team teaching of introductory biology and to teach upper-level lecture and laboratory courses in the areas of human anatomy and physiology thus enhancing the department’s offerings for students interested in post-graduate opportunities in health care. Advising students pursuing careers in the health professions will become part of this new faculty member’s role. The successful candidate must also maintain a productive scholarship program focusing on research at the organismal level providing opportunities for student involvement. Please be prepared to submit your cover letter, research statement and CV after clicking on Apply Now button. Specific requirements and details about this position can be found at: http://smcvt.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=55193&type=7. Review of applications will begin on March 17 and continue until the position has been filled.
Howard University - The Howard University Department of Psychology invites applications for three faculty positions starting in Fall, 2015. All candidates must have a PhD in Psychology by the time of appointment, an active research program, a strong commitment to quality teaching, and the potential to attract, or an established record of attracting, extramural funding. The first and second positions are in Quantitative Psychology. One position is a tenure-track assistant Professor; the other is for an open-rank, tenure-track/ tenured Professor (Assistant, Associate, Full). The third position is for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Clinical Psychology ideally with a focus on health disparities. Interested candidates should submit via email the following to Dr. Hope M. Hill, the Chair of our Search Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org): a CV; a letter describing research and teaching interests; representative reprints and/or preprints; and three letters of recommendation. Review of applicants will begin on December 15th and will continue until the positions are filled. Salary will be commensurate with education, experience, and accomplishments.
Stevens Institute of Technology - Stevens Institute of Technology invites applications for three Biomedical Engineering faculty positions in the Department of Chemistry, Chemical Biology & Biomedical Engineering (CCBBME). They are seeking candidates for two tenure track/tenured positions at the level of Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor, with a preference for research in any of the following areas: cardiopulmonary mechanics/physiology, biomechanics/kinematics, robotics, neural engineering, imaging, pathophysiological 3D systems, or artificial organs. The third position, a non-tenure track position, is that of Professor of Design in Biomedical Engineering. Interested candidates should submit a statement of teaching philosophy, a research plan (TT/T positions only), a curriculum vitae, and the names of at least three references. Applications may be submitted at http://www.apply2jobs.com/Stevens. The review of applications will begin immediately. For more information, please visit: http://www.stevens.edu/ses/ccbbme.
Syracuse University - Syracuse University seeks a full-time, non-tenure-track Professor of Practice faculty position to begin the 2015-2016 academic year. Responsibilities include teaching of undergraduate courses (2 per semester), coordination of neuroscience undergraduate and graduate courses across departments, participation in academic advising, and service on neuroscience program committees. This is a full-time 8.5-month faculty position. Compensation is nationally competitive. MS or PhD in Neuroscience or related field with PhD preferred. The candidate must have prior teaching experience and a strong commitment to teaching, advising, and mentoring undergraduate students. For more details, please visit: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/12596462. Applicants must complete an online application with three attachments: 1) a curriculum vita; 2) a letter of intent (attach to cover letter); 3) a 1-2 page teaching statement (attach to other document) and evaluation(s) of teaching abilities (if available). Submit application and documents at www.sujobopps.com, Job #071484.
University of Maine - The University of Maine invites applications for the newly established, endowed Edward Sturgis Grew Professorship in Petrology and Mineralogy in the School of Earth and Climate Sciences. This is a full-time tenure-track position with a focus on igneous and/or metamorphic petrology, geochemistry, and mineralogy. Candidates must have an earned doctorate in the discipline or a closely related field by the date of appointment, a strong research and publication record in their field, and a demonstrated commitment to teaching. Postdoctoral experience is strongly preferred but not required. The position is an academic year appointment with preferred starting date of September 1, 2015. Materials must be submitted online at: https://umaine.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=23153. Review of applications will begin January 15, 2015. Please email email@example.com with questions about the position.
- Binghamton University - The Thomas J. Watson School of Engineering and Applied Science at Binghamton University has faculty vacancies in the following departments:
- Bioengineering - Associate Professor / Professor & Assistant Professor in Biomedical Engineering
- Computer Science Assistant/Associate Professor (6 Positions)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Assistant Professor, TAE / Smart Energy
- Mechanical Engineering Assistant Professor, TAE / Smart Energy & Assistant Professor, Mechanics
- Systems Science and Industrial Engineering - Assistant Professor - Smart Grids/Operations Research
- Watson School Dean's Office - Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies & Assistant to the Dean
- For a full list of vacancies at Binghamton, visit: http://www.binghamton.edu/academics/provost/faculty/vacancies.html
Ohio State University - The College of Arts and Sciences is pleased to announce open faculty positions for fall 2015. They are particularly interested in receiving applications from individuals who are members of groups that historically have been underrepresented in the American professoriate. For a list of positions and details, please visit: http://artsandsciences.osu.edu/facultypositions.
- University of California, Davis - The College of Biological Sciences invites applications for three full-time positions in the Lecturer with Potential for Security of Employment (LPSOE) series. Faculty in LPSOE positions are members of the academic senate and are eligible for promotion to Lecturer with Security of Employment (LSOE), the equivalent of tenure for ladder rank faculty. Applicants may apply to more than one area of focus. For more information and submission, please visit: https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF00418.They are focused on hiring applicants for the following areas:
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (MCB)
- Microbial Biology (MMG)
- Physiology, Cell Biology, Cell Signaling & Anatomy (NPB)
- California Alliance Postdoctoral Fellowship Program - The California Alliance offers postdoctoral research fellowship opportunities at four top-tier California institutions; UC Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford and Caltech in the Mathematical, Physical Sciences and Engineering fields. The program also includes faculty mentoring, professional development and academic networking opportunities. Priority consideration is given to applications submitted by November 1, 2014. For more information and application, please visit: http://www.california-alliance.org/postdocfellowships.
- University of Colorado Boulder - The College of Engineering and Applied Science seeks applications for tenure-line faculty in all departments for Fall 2015. They are particularly interested in candidates who will create a climate that attracts and supports students of all races, nationalities and genders. Applicants must hold a doctorate in an appropriate field, must have demonstrated an ability to conduct outstanding research and show promise for excellent teaching. Exceptional candidates in all areas will be given serious consideration. For more information, please visit: https://www.jobsatcu.com/.
- Messiah College - The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry seeks a Professor of Biochemistry to begin Fall 2015. A PhD in biochemistry or a related discipline is required. The primary teaching responsibilities will be in Biochemistry I and II and first year chemistry, either General Chemistry, or courses for students pursuing health science degrees, such as nursing. A faculty member in this position is expected to initiate and sustain a research program appropriate for undergraduate students. Both space and resources are available for this. Faculty members are expected to be active scholars in their discipline, as well as contribute to institutional service. The successful candidate must be committed to best educational practices as applied to undergraduate science education and the integration of Christian faith and learning. For additional information and to submit an application and supporting materials, please visit: http://jobs.messiah.edu/postings/4520. Application materials will be reviewed upon receipt and will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Northeastern University STEM Future Faculty Fellowship Program - Northeastern University invites nominations and applications from candidates in the STEM fields for the University’s STEM Future Faculty Fellowship Program. The prospective fellow must have a completed PhD degree by the start of and no earlier than three years before the fellowship term. Application deadline is January 15, 2015. For full details, please visit: http://www.northeastern.edu/advance/recruitment/northeastern-university-stem-future-faculty-fellowship-program/.
- Brookhaven National Laboratory - BNL offers a Scientific Associate position. The full-time, 2-year term appointment will be in the LSST group in the Instrumentation Division. The Scientific Associate will join in the development of the readout electronics and overall optimization of the 3.2Gpixel focal plane array based on state-of-the-art deep depletion charge-coupled devices (CCD). The LSST Project is preparing for construction of a large ground based observatory in Chile. The 8.4 meter LSST will survey the entire visible sky deeply in multiple colors every week, probing the mysteries of Dark Matter and Dark Energy, and opening a movie-like window on objects that change or move rapidly; exploding supernovae, potentially hazardous near-Earth asteroids and distant Kuiper Belt Objects. The LSST group is in need of a talented individual to perform detailed electro-optic characterization and analysis on pre-production prototypes, and to have a significant role in guiding the development of the final mixed-signal CCD readout hardware. For more information, contact Terrence Buck, Principal Human Resources Representative of BNL at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- University of Johannesburg, South Africa – The University of Johannesburg offers a Post-Doctoral Fellowship opportunity. Candidates should have prior experience in one of the following (in order of preference) -- DACs, XRD structural & materials characterization, electrical-transport or magnetics, laser-related research. The fellowship is available for one year in the first instance, potentially renewable for a second year. The successful candidate may commence research within 3-6 months after sending the first expression of interest. For more information, please visit: http://www.uj.ac.za/EN/Faculties/science/departments/physics. Interested candidates should send an expression of interest and CV to Professor Giovanni Hearne at email@example.com.
- Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) - The Office of Student Affairs offers a Grad Program Director & Administrator (Student Affairs) position. For more information, please visit: http://www.seas.harvard.edu or contact Gloria C. Anglon, Assistant Director of Diversity and Student Engagement, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- University of Detroit Mercy - The Biology Department offers an instructor position. Candidates must have successfully completed at least a master’s degree or be enrolled in a PhD candidacy, and have a strong interest in teaching excellence. Instructor positions are hired for no more than four academic terms during a two year period, with annual review for continuation of the contract. Teaching responsibilities include introductory laboratory courses and potentially lecture courses in General Biology and Nursing (Anatomy and Physiology). Cover letter should include personal teaching philosophy and experience. The Biology Department focuses on undergraduate education and is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply. The University of Detroit Mercy is Michigan’s largest Catholic university, firmly rooted in a tradition of academic excellence. The Biology Department includes eleven full-time faculty, offering a variety of advanced courses, including human genetics, human anatomy, pathophysiology, public health microbiology and immunology and plant biology. Interested candidates should send curriculum vitae, cover letter, and three recommendation letters to Gregory M. Grabowski, MS, PhD, Chairperson of Biology Department in University of Detroit Mercy at email@example.com.
- University of Colorado - The Vascular Bioengineering Laboratory in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Colorado seeks highly motivated postdoctoral research associates. The lab integrates the fields of vascular mechanics and mechanobiology, and tissue engineering. The postdoctoral research associates will be involved in multidisciplinary projects covering aspects of the design for vascular medical devices, and cell bioengineering. Applicants are expected to have a PhD in biomedical or mechanical engineering, or related field; knowledge and personal interest in vascular bioengineering and translational research; experimental experience in cell biology; demonstrated productivity in publication; ability to communicate well with dynamic group and aggressively pursue research. Priority is given to the applicants in the underrepresented racial and ethnic groups. Applicants should send an email stating why they should be selected, curriculum vitae and contact information for at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tufts University TEACRS Program - Fellowships are available in the Training in Education and Critical Research Skills Program (TEACRS). This NIH-funded program is designed to prepare talented postdoctoral trainees with the career skills needed to succeed in academic biomedical research. Trainees spend on average 75% of their time conducting bench research and 25% of their time in career development activities that will help them manage the multiple demands of a faculty position. Opportunities are available in a wide range of biomedical research disciplines. The application deadline for positions beginning Fall 2015 is March 2, 2015. Later applications will be considered if positions are available. For more information, contact Dr. Claire Moore at Claire.Moore@tufts.edu.
- Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute - Postdoctoral positions are available in advanced cardiovascular research at the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute in Los Angeles, CA. This program is funded by a NIH (T32) Training Grant. Six postdoctoral positions are available to NIH T32 eligible candidates (US citizens or permanent residents). The objective of the program is to provide outstanding training to postdoctoral fellows in basic and translational research related to cardiovascular disease for both PhD and MD-scientists. To learn more, visit: http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Education/Graduate-Research-Education/Training/Heart-Institute-NIH-T32-Funded-Training-Program-for-Postdoctoral-Research.aspx.
- University of Pittsburgh - The Career Advancement for Engineering in the Science of Rehabilitation (CAESOR) program is designed to increase the number of rigorously trained, extramurally competitive and scientifically productive engineering researchers in the field of rehabilitation science and engineering. Individuals from basic engineering disciplines interested in gaining research training/experience in an area relevant to rehabilitation are eligible to apply for support. Trainees are expected to work with a member of one of the training program faculty. Trainees should be prepared to make a two-year commitment to research training and fulfill each of the requirements of the traineeship. There is no limitation on US citizenship or permanent residency. For more information and application, please visit: http://www.qolt.pitt.edu/post-docs/.
- University of Maryland Baltimore - Campus Faculty Openings: http://www.umbc.edu/facultydiversity/jobs.html.
- University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) - UCSF offers a postdoctoral position available for candidates who have research experience in virology, molecular biology, cellular immunology and/or stem cell biology and have a PhD or MD. The research undertaken involves studies of HIV infection with a focus on innate immunity toward development of a therapy or a vaccine and stem cell biology directed at a HIV cure. The position is in the UCSF Laboratory for Tumor and AIDS Virus Research. Interested candidates should send curriculum vitae and the names of three references to: Jay A. Levy, MD at email@example.com.
- Stanford University - The Department of Environmental Earth System Science seeks an innovative scholar for a junior level, tenure-track, faculty appointment in the area of freshwater and land resources. Ideal candidate will be a broad-thinking, multi-disciplinary scientist employing hydrological, ecological and/or other appropriate approaches for the study and management of coupled freshwater and land systems. Preference will be given to an individual focusing on regional to large-system scales to develop a vigorous research program employing strong analytical, computational and/or measurement methods. The candidate will also be expected to teach classes in freshwater/land-system processes and resources, as well as mentor students at the graduate and undergraduate levels. Interested candidates should provide a cover letter describing research and teaching experience, as well as future plans in these areas, curriculum vitae and a list of three references to: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/4923. Review of applications will begin on December 15, 2014 and will continue until the position is filled. Questions related to your submission may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.