Peer Reviews Workshop
This two day program offers the peer review techniques of Product Review, Structured Walkthrough and Fagan Style Inspections. These approaches vary in level of detail, applicability and formality. While the walkthrough is the static testing technique most frequently employed, the formality of the Inspection helps to find the most errors at the detailed deliverable level.
With increased quality and error detection as the primary objectives of each review, the producer is given the benefit of his or her colleagues' critique, prior to formal construction and testing. To facilitate the experience of constructive and synergistic walkthroughs, each attendee participates in multiple reviews as reviewer and producer. Some less obvious, but beneficial by-products of peer reviews include: Team commitment to each piece of the project; Quicker knowledge transfer for team members; Better understanding of other parts of the deliverables; Lower testing, development and maintenance costs; and certainly, increased quality, "The first time!"
Upon completion, participants involved with PMI® and the Project Management Institute’s Project Management Professional (PMP) program, are awarded 14 PDUs or “Contact Hours”.
- The Types of Peer Reviews and Inspections
- Synergy and the Team Approach
- The Product Review and Walkthrough
- The Intangibles
- The "Fagan Style" Inspection
The workshop is designed for any Business Analyst, Programmer, Liaison or Project Leader, who may make an error. Participants learn from exercises and actual inspections and walkthroughs, planned, run and critiqued during the class.
Upon completion of this course, each participant will be able to:
- Understand the reasons and roles of the Peer Review in the system development process.
- Understand the V-Model of testing; and the impact of the CMM (Capability Maturity Model) on development.
- Describe the three types of peer review techniques and select the appropriate process to be used during system development.
- Plan, Prepare and Conduct Walkthroughs and Inspections.
- Describe and fulfill the different roles needed in the review process (Moderator, Reviewer, Tester and Recorder).
- Understand and address the interpersonal issues which may arise when first implementing reviews.
- Create higher quality products, which meet customer requirements.
- Report to management on the findings, recommendations and follow up action planned by the Walkthrough team.
Total Systems Education is renowned for working closely with clients, all over the world, to design and deliver training that exactly fits their specific needs. They don’t believe in “cookie-cutter” training! Their philosophy is that training must be current and real-world; delivering a skill-set that encompasses world-class best practices but is also immediately transferrable to client’s workplace. Total Systems Education is proud to be a PMI Global Registered Education Provider. They were named the 2010 PMI “Best of the Best” Continuing Education Provider of the Year. For Business Analysts, Total Systems is also an EEP, Endorsed Education Provider, of the IIBA. These endorsements and certifications allow us to have our courses reviewed by the IIBA and PMI for relevancy, quality and adherence to the best practices supported by both of these prestigious global organizations. These certifications also allow us to award PDUs and CDUs to participants involved in the professional credentialing processes for PMP, CAPM, CBAP and the newly developed CCBA.
Corporate Education & Training • Advanced Energy Center • Research & Development Park
1000 Innovation Road, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-6044