Creating Functional Specifications
2 8-Hour Days
Price: $945.00 10% discount for PMI members
This workshop is intended for anyone involved in developing Functional Specifications for business solutions, including Business Analysts, Users, Liaisons, Software Developers and Managers (technical and non technical). It is also for all business personnel who will interact with technical development personnel. It bridges the very real communications gap between the business and technology.
The course provides an introduction to analysis methods used in making the necessary transition from Business Requirements to Functional Specifications, including Use Cases, Object-Oriented and Structured Analysis concepts. The workshop also teaches how to best use these methods to facilitate communication among Customers, Programmers, Analysts, Data Base, Liaisons, and Project Managers. By speaking the same language, all become true assets of the Development Team. A mix of technical and non-technical personnel in class is encouraged. Those involved with PMI and the Project Management Professional – PMP program are awarded 14 PDUs or “Contact hours”.
- Introduction: What are Functional Specifications and How are they Used?
- The Use Case Model
- The Use Case Model (Continued)
- The Business Model
- Packaging the Functional Specifications Document
- Appendix: Structured Analysis Methods
- Review and Conclusion
During this two day Creating Functional Specifications course attendees develop, present and critique key Functional Specification components. Issues surrounding in-house and outsourced development methods are discussed in detail.
Upon completion of this Creating Functional Specifications Workshop, each participant will be able to:
- Understand the purpose and content of Functional Specifications Documents, where they fit in software development processes, and how they are used in off-shore and in-house development projects.
- Transition the project from Business Case and Business Requirements to the detailed Functional Specifications.
- Create different types of requirements, employing Use Cases for describing how users will interact with a system, and Supplementary Requirements covering security, performance, reliability and other needs of the business
- Understand the basic concepts of Object-Oriented and Structured Analysis methods and how they are is used in developing Functional Specifications.
- Build and understand the need for Business Models including Class and Object models, and the Project Glossary.
- Understand the purpose and relevant components of UML, the industry standard Unified Modeling Language.
- Use and understand the role of data gathering workshops in learning about the business and gaining agreement from stakeholders. Workshop techniques including CRC Cards are practiced.
- Package the component models into a Functional Specifications Document.
Total Systems Education is renowned for working closely with clients, all over the world, to design and deliver training that exactly fits their specific needs. They don’t believe in “cookie-cutter” training! Their philosophy is that training must be current and real-world; delivering a skill-set that encompasses world-class best practices but is also immediately transferrable to client’s workplace. Total Systems Education is proud to be a PMI Global Registered Education Provider. They were named the 2010 PMI “Best of the Best” Continuing Education Provider of the Year. For Business Analysts, Total Systems is also an EEP, Endorsed Education Provider, of the IIBA. These endorsements and certifications allow us to have our courses reviewed by the IIBA and PMI for relevancy, quality and adherence to the best practices supported by both of these prestigious global organizations. These certifications also allow us to award PDUs and CDUs to participants involved in the professional credentialing processes for PMP, CAPM, CBAP and the newly developed CCBA.
Corporate Education & Training • Advanced Energy Center • Research & Development Park
1000 Innovation Road, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-6044