Graduate Business Programs: Admissions
The Stony Brook College of Business Graduate Programs look for students with the talent and desire to become business leaders. New students can begin the Stony Brook MBA in the Fall or Spring semester. The MS in Accounting and MS in Finance programs can be started in the Fall semester only.
The following are required for consideration of admission into the COB Graduate programs, for both full and part time applicants:
- 4 Page online application through Apply Yourself: app.applyyourself.com/?id=sunysb-gs. You will need to create an account in order to apply.
- Please upload your personal statement and resume to the application (do not upload transcripts or any other documents)
- $100 Application Fee (non-refundable), payable online by credit card.
- General Management Admission Test (GMAT) scores. Visit www.mba.com for more information on how to take the test. Official scores are required in order to completely process your application. Your GMAT score is one part of your completed application and the admissions committee reviews the score in combination with your other materials. The admission committee looks for a minimum score of 550. However, applications will still be reviewed if your scores are below this point. You can submit your application and we will hold it until we receive your official scores. Note: Your application will not receive final processing until we receive an official copy of your GMAT score
- You are expected to have a GPA of 3.0 in prior academic work. In exceptional cases, a GPA below 3.0 will be considered for "conditional admission" to the College of Business. If admitted "conditionally," you must achieve a 3.0 GPA in the first semester to continue in your College of Business graduate program.
- We strongly encourage foreign transcripts to be evaluated by World Education Services (WES) or another NACES member association. These must be course by course evaluations. You can find more information about WES at www.wes.org and NACES members at: www.naces.org/members.htm If you are unable to provide evaluated transcripts from one of these organizations, you must provide us with official copies of your transcripts and proof of degree conferral in both English and your native language. These documents must be issued directly by your University.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation from current or former employers or professors. These should be submitted electronically through Apply Yourself.
- Proof of satisfactory completion (grade of "C" or better) of a three credit hour calculus course. A request for waiver from the calculus course requirement will be considered based on the student's undergraduate major, business experience and career aspirations.
- In addition to the criteria stated above, the MBA in Accounting and MS in Accounting programs have further requirements. Applicants to these programs must have completed 21 credits of accounting prerequisites and one 3 credit law course. In addition, applicants to the MS in Accounting program must have completed 30 credits in general business (non-accounting) coursework. Please refer to the program website for detailed prerequisite information.
- Applicants whose undergraduate education was conducted in a language other than English
must also submit one of the following:
- A TOEFL internet-based score of 85 or above
- An IELTS test with an overall score of 6.5 or above, with no sub-scores below 6.0
Please instruct ETS to send the official score reports electronically to the State University of New York at Stony Brook, code 2548. www.ets.org/toefl Official scores are required in order to have an application reviewed for possible admission.
- If you are an international applicant and are accepted into the program, you will need to submit documentation to receive an F-1 visa. You will submit your information electronically through SOLAR after you have accepted our offer of admission.
- Application deadline for MBA Programs for the Spring semester is December 1st; International Applicants should apply by October 15th.
- Application deadline for MS Programs for the Fall semester is May 15th; International Applicants should apply by March 15th.
- Application deadline for MBA Programs for the Fall semester is June 15th; International Applicants should apply by March 15th.
Applications will be considered after these dates, as long as space is available.
Ready to begin the application process? Click here for the online application: app.applyyourself.com/?id=sunysb-gs
Admission is open to all, regardless of undergraduate major. In making admissions decisions, the College of Business Admissions Committee applies a partially compensatory decision process. Under this process, exceptional strength in terms of GMAT scores, GPA, or work experience can offset minor deficiencies in another area. However, no exceptions are made to the TOEFL minimum score requirements for whom TOEFL scores are required.
Admitted students are expected to have access to a PC running Windows and Microsoft Office, and familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Have more questions?
Please visit our MBA frequently asked questions page or contact our Office of Student Services (OSS), where you can receive academic guidance and assistance with the application process. You can also make an appointment with Joyce Gibson, MBA, MS Admissions Recruitment Advisor (COBadmissions@stonybrook.edu) during the following times:
YOU MUST MAKE AN APPOINTMENT.
- Tuesday - Current and prospective students
- Wednesday - current students only
- Thursday - current students only
- Friday - Current and prospective students