Budget Development Documents
The following must be provided to the Campus Budget Office no later than February 20th.
Prepare a narrative; this should include information indicating how prior year resources were utilized including the items below.
- Significant resource redistributions.
- Assessment metrics of performance – both financial and non-financial.
Be sure to address the following items as well.
- Strategic & Financial Goals: How does your proposal support the goals outlined above? Looking back at the last three years, how did you reallocate existing resources, improve use of fund balances, grow revenue, and reduce expenses? How has your departmental output/metrics changed within your fiscal environment? How will your area need to change in order to absorb any future unfunded salary increases? What is the institutional impact? How are you maximizing your revenue generating opportunities? Please explain any significant variances within your division’s fund balances in the last three years. (These fund balances will be provided to you via a Financial Scorecard report in the SBU Reporting environment.)
- Contractual Salary Increases: Each year a campus pool to self-fund the state costs of union contracts is created by assessing budget reductions to each unit. Please describe the operational changes you have instituted in your division in order to balance your budget.
- Personnel Costs: How does the current value of your filled lines compare to your budgeted lines? Please explain variances. How many funded positions do you have? How many of these positions are currently vacant, and when (which fiscal year) do you plan on filling them? How does this plan compare to your actual filled FTE levels for the past two years? How much of these costs are associated with the DRP repayments?
- Strategic Investment: What is the most critical initiative in your area requiring new investment? How would this investment further the institutional goals? If funded, how would you measure the return on investment? Use the Supplemental Budget Request Form to submit your requests for strategic investment along with your narrative. If you have more than one initiative you are requesting funds for, please prioritize each request.
If you are also requesting additional funding, please include a completed prioritized supplemental budget request form.
- Explain how these requests are linked to, and support, the University’s strategic priorities.
- Include goals and assessment metrics so future performance can be measured.
- Include estimates of base (continuing) and fiscal (one-time) costs and revenues associated with each initiative/program.
To access the budget request form, click here.