Internet Log-on Instructions & IT Support
As a Brookhaven Residential Village resident, you will be assigned a Dowling College account, in addition to your standard Stony Brook accounts. The account is needed to access both the wired and wireless networks at Brookhaven Residential Village. You should have received an email to your Stony Brook Gmail account that listed your username and temporary password. Please follow the directions below to change your password.
Change your Password:
Please log into the Dowling College Email System at your earliest convenience to change this default password. You will be prompted to change your password the first time you log in. This the same username and password that you will use to access the network once you are at Brookhaven Residential Village.
Tips and Help:
You can also change the password by going into the settings of the email account. Your new password has to be at least 8 characters. If you have any questions or need any assistance, please contact: Dowling College help desk at 631-244-3445.
Dowling College IT Support
For any networking, phone, or cable related issues call:
Help Desk at 631-244-3445 -OR- Academic Computing Center at 631-244-3301
Stony Brook Student IT Guide
For any Stony Brook Service support issues, call:
Client Support at 631-632-9800 -OR- Teaching Learning Technology at 631-632-9602
Fall 2014 hours of operation:
Internet Connection Tips and Common Problems:
1. After one hour of inactivity or a six-hour session, your connection will timeout and you must log in again.
2. Expired virus protection – Uninstall or renew old virus protection.
3. Malware – Go to computer with an internet connection – download Free Version of Malwarebytes and save to thumb drive -- run on computer without connection.
4. Computer setting issue (1) –Fix is for both wired/ wireless cards and for most operating systems. --Go to Start –Control panel – Network Connections – right click on Local Area Connection -- Properties –Scroll down and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) – then go to properties. Obtain an IP address automatically should be selected and – Obtain DNS server address automatically should also be selected.
5. Computer setting Issue (2) –For both wired and wireless cards and for most operating systems. Go to Start – then Control panel – Choose Network and Sharing Center --then on the left click change adapter settings –right click on Local Area Connection then choose properties –make sure Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPV4) is checked and Internet Protocol Version 6 is unchecked.
Contact the Help Desk if you still have issues connecting to the Internet at 631-244-3445.