Complimentary Desk Copies
This complimentary service was designed to assist the Bookstore Liaison in helping the University maintain HEOA compliance, which relates to the 2008 Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA). This is a federal law, mandated by the U.S. Congress, and has been in effect at the University since July 1, 2010. The practical effect of complying with the law at Stony Brook is that students must be able to see their “required and recommended” course materials on SOLAR at their time of class registration. Hence our Office’s early request for your course material information each semester. The University designated due dates never change. They are: April 5 for the Summer and Fall semesters, October 12 for Winter and Spring semesters.
If you would like to request a desk copy for a title that will be used for your course, please be aware of the following guidelines:
- Desk copies are complimentary title copies which publishers offer to faculty members who have provided the Bookstore Liaison with their Course Material Requisition (CMR). These desk copies, once ordered at faculty members’ request, will then be shared with Amazon, our official course material provider, who will place an order with the publisher.
- Please be aware that desk copies cannot be obtained directly from Amazon. This service is provided to you by the FSA Bookstore Liaison, the Faculty Student Advocate's Office.
- Desk copy requests will be honored only if your Course Material Requisition (CMR) is submitted by the University designated due dates (see above in bold). Please note that these dates never change.
- Desk copy requests will be honored only if the original order was placed using the online CMR system, which is accessible through a customized link sent from the Bookstore Liaison's Office.
- If you wish to add a title to your CMR after the designated due date, and your CMR was submitted prior to the designated due date, your desk copy request for that title will be honored. If your CMR was submitted after the designated due date, unfortunately our Office cannot provide you with your requested desk copies.
- In order to be eligible for desk copies for the upcoming semester, faculty must pick up all previously requested desk copies prior to requesting new titles. This ensures that faculty members receive all the titles they requested from us, and also that our Office is not overcrowded.
- Since all publisher policies are different, they may not send the requested amount of desk copies, since the decision to offer you the copies is purely at their discretion. If you wish to receive supplementary copies, you must contact the publishers. We can provide you with their contact information if necessary.
- Publishers are often unlikely to send the same faculty member desk copies of the same titles in consecutive semesters. If you are distributing desk copies to your teaching assistants, it is suggested that you collect them back at the end of the semester, as this is the only way to ensure you will have adequate TA copies for a new semester.
- We are unable to order review copies or exam copies. Faculty wishing to obtain these versions of the books must contact the publishers directly.
- Desk copies must be picked up as soon as possible from the FSA Bookstore Liaison Faculty Student Advocate's Office. We cannot ship books through inter-office mail, or through any other methods.
- Desk copies may be ordered for custom course-packs. This would be done through reaching out to the respective representative from the publisher.