Pathways to Research in the Biosciences at Stony Brook
1) Entering Research Workshop: Offered every semester by Undergraduate Biology to provide students a coherent mechanism for engaging in research in the biological and biomedical sciences.
Application for Spring 2016 Entering Research Workshop
2) Explorations in STEM Program: Provides summer stipend support for a mentored research experience in combination with career development programming for students who are interested in pursuing careers in STEM disciplines. Applications encouraged for students with financial need or from under-represented groups; freshmen and sophomores with little to no research experience are encouraged to apply.
Application for Explorations in STEM Program for Summer 2016
3) Stony Brook iGEM (International Genetically Engineered Machines): Student-led summer-long research project in synthetic biology that is presented at the International iGEM Jamboree. Although there is no dedicated stipend support, students have access to institutional facilities, receive faculty guidance and have support from a number of sponsors. Appropriate for students at all levels with interests in synthetic biology.
Application for SBU iGEM Team 2016
4) Stony Brook IMSD-MERGE: NIH-funded program providing stipend support to student researchers in the summers preceding their junior and senior years as well as financial support and a suite of career development activities that run through the junior and senior years to enhance their preparation for graduate school. Applications encouraged for students with financial need or from under-represented groups with interests in pursuing graduate studies in the biomedical sciences.
Application for 2016 IMSD-MERGE
5) URECA (Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities): URECA coordinates undergraduate research activities across all disciplines at Stony Brook and offers competitive summer awards to support faculty-mentored research experiences for undergraduates. URECA also offers travel awards for students participating in off-campus conferences and sponsors a campus-wide research symposium in the spring.
Application for URECA Summer 2016
Undergraduate Biology, 107-112 CMM/BLL, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794-5110 - 631 632-8530, 631-632-1680 (fax)