Undergraduate Biology Scholarships
Michel Colbert Endowed Scholarship
The Michel Colbert Endowed Scholarship was established to honor the memory of Michel Colbert, a Biology graduate from the class of 1986 who was killed in the September 11, 2001 attack on the World Trade Center. The goal of this scholarship award is to enhance successful completion of an undergraduate degree, preferably in the biological sciences, for a student confronted with significant and unanticipated financial difficulties. Although there is no strict requirement for the year of study, students are typically selected as Michel Colbert Fellows prior to their senior year and receive a full tuition scholarship to support their studies through to graduation as long as they maintain good academic standing and full-time status.
The criteria for selection of a Michel Colbert Fellow are:
- A Stony Brook undergraduate with a strong record of achievement, preferably in the biological sciences, and a clear plan for completion of a Bachelor's degree program.
- Unanticipated financial challenges that are likely to interfere with timely completion of the degree
- A personal statement to be shared with the Colbert family that explains your course of study and how this education will impact on your career development and future plans.
Deadline: March 21, 2017
Application for Colbert Scholarship
Edward J. Mardovich '81 Memorial Scholarship Application
The Edward J. Mardovich '81 Memorial Scholarship in Undergraduate Biology was established by family, friends and fellow alumni of Eddie to provide a permanent source of scholarship support to Stony Brook undergraduate students majoring in Biology. Eddie earned degrees at Stony Brook in Biology and Sociology. He was a former employee at Euro-Brokers, Inc. and was killed in the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. The scholarship is available to any Junior or Senior majoring in Biology with a GPA greater than 3.0. The scholarship is restricted to United States citizens. Selection will be based on both the academic record and a personal statement that addresses the importance of their studies to their long-term career plans and how receipt of the scholarship support will enhance these plans. Awards to cover $1,000 of educational expenses per semester will be given for a full academic year, with a possibility of renewal for students who receive the Scholarship as a Junior. Recipients will be expected to maintain continuous full-time enrollment with a minimum GPA of 3.0 for the entire scholarship period.
The criteria for selection of an Edward J. Mardovich '81 Scholarship are:
- A Biology major, and U.S. citizen, who will have Junior or Senior status during the scholarship period with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- A personal statement of 500 words or less describing your course of study in Biology, including successes an achievements related to this major as well as research, internship and other extracurricular experiences outside of the classroom that have influenced your career plans, and how this scholarship award will enhance career development.
Deadline: March 21, 2017
Application for Mardovich Scholarship