Registration and Scheduling
Fall 2017 Registration:
It is that time again! Registration for Fall will be starting shortly. We are recommending that you prepare carefully ahead of time. We have posted information on this page that should help you plan for the upcoming semester.
Updates on BIO Course Offerings
- To enroll in BIO 335, BIO 365, or BIO 366, registration requests must be sent through email to Lynette Giordano ( Lynette.Giordano@stonybrook.edu). Emails must include your Student ID number, and the lab section you are requesting. Priority placement in these courses will be for students who require the courses for degree completion. Students will be placed manually into the lab courses within 2-3 weeks of registration, these courses will appear closed on SOLAR.
- Neither BIO 365 or BIO 311 will be offered in Spring 2018, please plan accordingly
- The following biology courses will be changing course code beginning in the Fall 2017-Spring
2018 Academic year:
- -Human Genetics: BIO 302 will be listed as EBH 302
- -Evolution of the Human Brain: ANP 316 will be listed as EBH 316
- -Genomics: BIO 304 will be listed as EBH 380
- -Genomics Laboratory: BIO 305 will be listed as EBH 381
- -Advanced Human Genetics: BIO 303 will be listed as EBH 370
- -Behavioral Ecology: BIO 359 will be listed as EBH 359
- *All re-designated courses will still be accepted toward the BIO major as before*
- PHY 121 and PHY 122 are now 4-credit courses (increased from 3 credits). The PHY 123 and 124 labs (previously 1-credit courses will be incorporated as the 4th credit in PHY 121 and PHY 122 and will no longer be offered separately.
Fall 2017 Course Schedule: Click to see the Fall 2017 course listings through the Registrar
BIO Advising Appointments:
BIO advising appointments can be made in SSC Campus. Please note that we will not be accepting walk-in appointments.
Biology Course Retake
Please note new university rules for course re-take permission:
- Students taking a course for the second time will no longer need advisor permission.
- Students registering for classes for the first time will still have priority through August 15th for the Fall 2017 semester. Re-takers will not be able to register for the course until August 15th whether the course is High Demand (HDCA) or not.
- The current policy of petitioning for re-take permission through Academic Advising for a third or more attempt remains in place
Biology Course Registration Issues - See Lynette Giordano
If you have any problems registering for BIO courses, then make sure to contact Lynette
Giordano immediately (location 109 CMM/BLL - email
firstname.lastname@example.org - phone 631-632-8530). Some of our courses (i.e., BIO 201, BIO 202, BIO 205, BIO
207, BIO 315, BIO 358) may have reserved seats. Some courses (e.g., BIO 475, 476,
486, 487, 488, 489) will require departmental permission. Ms. Giordano can assist
you with any such issues. Certain BIO lab courses (BIO 335, BIO 365 and BIO 366)
also require students to contact Ms. Giordano for enrollment permission.
Course Offerings by Semester
You may want to see the history of Biology Major/Minor course offerings over the last several years. If you are considering postponing a course until next year, then this file may suggest when it will be offered again. You should always double check with a Biology Advisor.
Declaration of Specialization
All Biology majors must officially declare a specialization before graduation. As noted above, registration in some courses can depend on your declared specialization. Students may stop by the Undergraduate Biology program office after that date to fill out a major declaration form. Major/specialization changes at that time will be effective for the Spring 2017 semester.
May 2017 Degree Candidates
May Degree Candidates: Please make sure to submit your completed Upper Division Writing Requirement Form and graded lab report/term paper to us as soon as possible. If no re-writes are required, this step may take 3-4 weeks. We will not be able to clear you for graduation until all requirements have been met.