This mission statement summarizes the objectives of AFFIRM, a network of psychologists who are coming out in open support of their lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) family members. As psychologists, we feel it is time to have our voices heard, especially in light of the hateful and damaging misinformation being put out by such people as "Dr. Laura" and those professionals advocating so-called conversion/reparative therapy.
AFFIRM Mission Statement
The following are the goals of the network:
- To affirm our lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) children, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, cousins, aunts, uncles, mothers, fathers, and grandparents.
- To impress upon all family members the importance of supporting their LGBT relatives.
- To educate psychologists to recognize, advocate, and incorporate clinical and research work on relevant LGBT issues into their mainstream interests (e.g., life span development, family relations, parenting, teenage suicide, victimization).
- To provide information, resources, and, where appropriate, support to other psychologists.
- To bring to bear on advocacy efforts our expertise and judgment as psychologists.
- To encourage other professional organizations to establish AFFIRM-like networks.