What are the important academic deadlines for the semester?

For deadlines and events, students can view the Academic Calendars located on the Registrar's website . You should first consult with an academic advisor before making any changes to your schedule.

Go to top

What are the DECs and why does Stony Brook require them?

The DEC is a liberal arts foundation for your study at Stony Brook, and gives you exposure to many different fields and disciplines including the arts, humanities, sciences, and social sciences. The DEC includes various categories from A through K (i.e., CHE 131-E means that Chemistry 131 is a DEC E class.), which all need to be completed to graduate. Note that DEC requirements differ for students in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences. DEC categories A and C require you to earn a C or better in each course, while the remaining DEC categories require a D or better in each course.

Go to top

How do I fulfill the skill 3 language requirement?

The skill 3 language requirement is required for all students with a major in the College of Arts and Sciences, School of Journalism, School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, and the College of Business. You will fulfill this requirement upon successful completion of a 112 or 101 level language course. You must earn a C or better to satisfy the requirement. You can also fulfill this requirement if you received a grade of 85 or higher on a foreign language Regents exam taken in high school or by taking a Challenge Exam, offered by Academic and Transfer Advising Services. Click here for more for information about the Challenge Exam.

Go to top

Where do I go for academic advising?

Stony Brook University offers a full complement of academic advising resources for undergraduates. Support includes advising about general education, major, and minor degree requirements, as well as comprehensive communication aimed at promoting student success. Click here to access more details on the advising resources provided.

Go to top

How/when do I meet with an advisor?

If you're a sophomore, junior, or senior in the College of Arts & Sciences just call 631-632-7082, option 2, to schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor. Or, if you'd prefer, you can come to our "Walk-in Wednesdays". Click here to view our current office hours. Students in other colleges or programs should meet with their assigned advisors.  You should meet with your academic advisor whenever you have questions/concerns about your academics. It is recommended that you meet with an academic advisor and your major advisor every semester prior to registration for the upcoming semesters to ensure you are meeting your curriculum requirements.

Go to top

What do the academic remarks on my transcript mean?

Q - Academic Dishonesty: Student who has been charged with academic dishonesty; must take Q course to have it removed; factors as “F” into GPA.

I - Incomplete: The Incomplete notation is at the discretion of the instructor. Student must communicate with instructor to complete coursework; otherwise, grade becomes “I/F” and factors as “F” into GPA.

W - Withdrawal: Student does not receive credit for course and no grade is factored into GPA.

** - No grade reported: No grade has been reported; student should contact faculty member.

U - Unsatisfactory: (in courses such as MAP 103, WRT 101/102, FYS 101, CHE 130); student does not receive credit for the course but no grade is factored into GPA.

S - Satisfactory: (in courses such as FYS 101, CHE 130); student receives credit for class but no grade is factored into GPA.

P - Pass: Student selected G/P/NC option by the 9th week in the semester; student earned a passing grade in the course below their desired grade threshold; student receives credit for the course but no grade is factored into GPA and no DEC credit earned; in most cases no major/minor credit earned.

NC - No Credit: Student selected G/P/NC option by the 9th week in the semester; student earned an “F” in the course; student does not receive credit for the course but no grade is factored into GPA.

NR - No Record: Faculty members report “NR” if a student is listed on their roster but has no record of that student ever attending class; an “NR” becomes an “N/F” and is factored into the GPA as an “F”.

Please consult with an academic advisor for further explanation of these remarks.

Go to top

What are the criteria for academic standing?

There are various levels of academic standing that are outlined in the updated, online Undergraduate Bulletin. Please click here to read the section titled "Academic Standing, Support, and Retention."

Go to top

How do I read the degree progress report?

Instructions on how to read the degree progress report can be found here.

Go to top

Where can I get extra academic help?

Students can make appointments with an academic advisor, their major advisor, or professor/T.A. There are a variety of tutoring services available. Click here for more information.

Go to top

How do I transfer credits from another university?

Information on transferring credits can be found on the Academic and Transfer Advising Services website, click here and go to the section entitled "Transfer Credit Policies."

Go to top

What is the difference between a drop and a withdrawal?

Students can drop a class by removing it from their schedule before the drop/add deadline, within the first ten days of class. The class will be entirely removed from their schedule and transcript. Removing a class after this point, through the 9th week of the semester, will be a withdrawal and a “W” will appear as a grade for the class on their transcript. Please note that students cannot drop below 12 credits for full-time status. Please refer to the Registrar’s academic calendar for deadline information here.

Go to top

What happens when I repeat/retake a course?

Information regarding repeating/retaking a course can be found in the on-line undergraduate Bulletin under the section titled “Multiple Registrations for the Same Course”. Please click here.

Go to top

What does U1, U2, U3, and U4 standing mean?

These codes refer to class standing. U1 is a freshman who has 0-23 credits earned, U2 is a sophomore with 24-56 credits earned, U3 is a junior with 57-84 credits earned, and U4 is a senior who has 85 or more credits earned.

Go to top

What does it mean to audit a class?

Auditing refers to the practice of attending a course for informational instruction only. An auditor does not receive academic credit for the course, nor does the University maintain any record of the auditors attendance in the course. In general, auditors are expected to refrain from participating in class discussions and from turning in or asking for grading of homework, term papers, or examinations. For more information please refer to the Undergraduate Bulletin here under "Auditing".

Go to top

Can an undergraduate student take graduate level courses?

Yes, with permission from the instructor, undergraduates can register for graduate level courses. Up to 6 graduate credits can be applied to a student's undergraduate degree. Please see this form.

Go to top

Login to Edit