Vision and Mission Statement
VISION: To promote the academic success of students.
MISSION: At Stony Brook University, academic advising is an intentional, educational partnership between advisors and students. Grounded in teaching and learning and approached from a developmental perspective, good academic advising considers and respects students' diverse backgrounds, interests, and abilities, and facilitates the identification and achievement of educational, career, and life goals. (Adopted August 7, 2009).
What can students expect from advisors? As advisors we will:
- Serve as a central, beginning resource to inform you of available options.
- Help you define, develop, and achieve realistic educational goals.
- Assist you with planning and monitoring an academic program, including selecting a major, consistent with your abilities and interests.
- Connect you with faculty and professional advisors in your major department.
- Communicate and interpret academic policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Evaluate and post transfer credits for general education requirements.
- Liaison with University academic departments and other institutions to support the transfer process.
- Refer you as needed to appropriate academic and student support services.
- Foster a respectful advisor-advisee relationship that focuses on you as a unique individual.
What can advisors expect from students? As a student you will:
- Familiarize yourself with the Stony Brook Undergraduate Bulletin (www.stonybrook.edu/bulletin) and the Academic and Transfer Advising Services website before seeking academic advice.
- Become knowledgeable about and adhere to Stony Brook academic policies, procedures, and deadlines.
- Prepare for advising sessions with thoughtful reflection and honest self-assessment.
- Follow through on recommended steps identified during advising sessions.
- Attend Academic & Transfer Advising Services special programs and events.
- Accept final responsibility for your decisions.