Current Stony Brook Students
Fulfilling Degree Requirements at Other Institutions:
It is not necessary to obtain prior approval for courses that have been pre-evaluated by Stony Brook's Academic and Transfer Advising Services' office. The Academic and Transfer Advising Services' office currently has available online pre-evaluated course equivalencies for Suffolk County Community College, Nassau Community College, and Farmingdale State College. Most courses from the below schools have been pre-evaluated and course equivalencies are available in Stony Brook's Academic and Transfer Advising Services office, E2360 Melville Library.
For Courses from all other Regionally Accredited Institutions:
Select a course (or courses) at a regionally accredited institution. To check if a school is regionally accredited, see a transfer advisor in Academic and Transfer Advising Services office, E-2360 Melville Library.
Obtain a catalog from the transfer institution with course descriptions.
If the course is for elective credit or for the completion of a DEC category, come to Academic and Transfer Advising Services, E2360 Melville Library.
If the course is for major or upper-division credit, come to Academic and Transfer Advising Services, E-2360 Melville Library for a Transfer Evaluation Form; then have the corresponding Stony Brook Department evaluate the course for equivalency. You will need a copy of the course description from the school's catalog where you plan to attend. A course syllabus may also be required. Note: The upper-division writing requirement must be completed at Stony Brook.
Return the white and yellow copies to Academic and Transfer Advising Services, E2360 Melville Library; your major department should keep the pink copy, and the gold copy is for your own records.
- Transfer credit will only be processed with an official transcript. Upon successful
completion of the course(s) with a grade of C or better, have an official transcript
sent to the following address:
Academic and Transfer Advising Services
E-2360, Melville Library
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3353
- Grades from transfer courses do not affect your Stony Brook GPA.
- You cannot get credit twice for equivalent courses. The Academic and Transfer Advising Services' Office advises students who must repeat a course for major requirements to consult their major department before registering for the course. If credit was already received for the course, you will not receive additional credit toward graduation by repeating the course.
- DEC A may not be satisfied by transfer after matriculation at Stony Brook.
- Upper-division credit must be earned at a four-year school.
- See Transfer Credit Policies in the Undergraduate Bulletin.