Course Registration F.A.Q.

Where can I search for classes when making a schedule?
On the class search page on SOLAR, you can search for classes by DEC, SBC or use SBU Class Find. You can view a video tutorial on how to do this, here.
How and when will I register for my classes?
You can register for class on the date prescribed by your Enrollment Appointment. Your Enrollment Appointment will be viewable about a week prior to registration, around late October for the Winter and Spring semester and around early April for the Summer and Fall semester. Access to your enrollment appointment date can be viewable on the SOLAR system under "Student Records & Registration." For help on how to find your enrollment appointment time, please watch this video tutorial

It is recommended that students have their schedule already created prior to their Enrollment Appointment to ensure a swift and smooth registration experience.
What does the Enrollment Appointment mean?
The enrollment appointment is the first available time that students are able to register for courses on SOLAR. It is recommended to have a schedule already planned out before the enrollment appointment date to ensure a swift registration experience.
How many classes can I take?
Full-time students usually enroll in four or five classes (an average of 12-16 credits). Full-time students must maintain a minimum of 12 credits, and part-time can take up to a maximum of 11. Students can register for a maximum of 17 credits until the Friday prior to the start of the semester when the credit limit will be raised to 19 credits.  See the Academic Calendar for the exact date.
Can I take more than 19 credits a semester?
Taking more than 19 credits per semester or more than 9 credits in one summer session is referred to as an academic overload. The criteria for an overload is based on the following: 

Cumulative GPA 3.0 or Higher
You are automatically eligible to register for up to 23 credits if you meet the following criteria. No petition is needed:
a. have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
b. have no incomplete or Q grades on your academic transcript.
c. have completed at least one semester at Stony Brook. 

Cumulative GPA 2.50—2.99
You are eligible to petition for an overload for up to 23 credits, if you meet the following criteria:
a. have a cumulative GAP between 2.50 and 2.99.
b. have no incomplete or Q grades on your academic transcript.
c. have completed at least one semester at Stony Brook. 

Cumulative GPA Less Than 2.5
You are not eligible for an overload.
What are the G/P/NC and Withdrawal options?
These are grading options that are alternatives to the standard grading format (A,B,C,D) Special restrictions apply, see "Top 10 Things to Know," below. These options can be accessed in your SOLAR account. Under "Class Schedule" select "Edit" and then select the course you wish to change. REMEMBER, these classes cannot be changed back after the G/P/NC and Withdrawal deadline.  For more information can be found on the page.

A mark of W is recorded when the student withdraws from a course after the first ten days of classes through the 9th week of the semester. The W is used to indicate that the student withdrew after the end of the add/drop period. 

Additional information regarding the G/P/NC can be found in the on-line undergraduate Bulletin under the section "Graded/Pass/No Credit Option (GPNC)." Click here.

Please speak to an Academic Advisor if you are considering any of these options.
Can I use the G/P/NC grade option for my major courses?
Yes, however grades of "P" generally do not satisfy major requirements. Please consult your major advisor for specifics in this matter.
How do I sign up for an Internship?
Students can find information about internships at the Career Center and on their website here. Students can also consult with their major advisor for major-specific internships.
What is the Course Re-take policy?
Information on the new course retake policy can be found here and in the Bulletin, here.
Login to Edit