Vision and Mission Statement
VISION: Through exceptional academic advising, ATAS inspires and empowers every undergraduate student to reach the highest level of academic achievement and individual development.
MISSION: Academic and Transfer Advising Services creates a welcoming environment and partners with our undergraduate student to support their academic success. Upon sharing information, resources, and referrals, advisors empower student to make informed decisions and take personal responsibility for their educational goals. Academic and Transfer Advising Services appreciates the uniqueness of each Stony Brook University student and enthusiastically celebrates their path to graduation. Adopted July 17, 2017.
The staff in Academic and Transfer Advising Services supports you by:
- Serving as a central, beginning resource to inform you of available options.
- Helping you define, develop, and achieve realistic educational goals.
- Assisting you with planning and monitoring an academic program consistent with your abilities and interests.
- Assisting you in selecting your major, and connecting you with faculty and professional advisors in your major department.
- Communicating and interpreting academic policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Evaluating and posting transfer credits for general education requirements.
- Connecting with University academic departments, community colleges, and programs abroad to facilitate students’ transferring to Stony Brook.
- Referring you as needed to appropriate academic and student support services.
- Fostering a respectful advisor-advisee relationship that focuses on you as a unique individual.
As an advisee, your important responsibilities include:
- Familiarizing yourself with the Stony Brook Undergraduate Bulletin and the Academic and Transfer Advising Services website before seeking academic advice.
- Becoming knowledgeable about and adhering to Stony Brook academic policies, procedures, and deadlines.
- Preparing for advising sessions with thoughtful reflection and honest self-assessment.
- Following through on recommended steps identified during advising sessions.
- Attending Academic and Transfer Advising Services special programs and events.
- Accepting final responsibility for your decisions.