Academic Success & Tutoring Center (ASTC) Tutoring Services
Spring 2014 Tutoring Services
The ASTC provides FREE small group and one-on-one tutoring for undergraduate students.
DEADLINE EXTENDED: The last day to register for an account and/or log into the scheduling system to make a new appointment has been extended to Friday, April 25th, which will allow students to book new appointments through Friday, May 9th.
Please Note: New appointments cannot begin later than May 9th. New appointments cannot be scheduled for Finals Week. Only students who receive tutoring services on or before Friday, May 9th will be able to receive tutoring during Finals Week.
Before registering for our tutoring services, please review the following information:Who are the tutors?
- Tutors are students that have demonstrated a mastery of their subject matter. Tutors help students to develop more effective ways to learn material and to prepare for exams. Tutors are not substitutes for course instructors and should not be used as a primary source of support for a course.
- ASTC tutors must meet specific qualifications including having a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2, a B+ or better in the course they wish to tutor, a faculty recommendation, and be in good standing.
- The purpose of tutoring is to help students to help themselves, or to guide them to the point at which they can become successful and independent learners. A tutor is not responsible for teaching course material or completing course assignments. ASTC tutors work with students on a continual basis, meeting weekly to review and reinforce course material.
- Tutoring is available for all undergraduate Stony Brook University students.
- Please click the "Schedule an Appointment" button below. You will be directed to our online scheduling system where you will need to register for an account using your SB email address.
- Yes! To ensure that we meet the needs of our SBU undergraduate students, each student is able to request up to 3 tutorial sessions. Since all tutoring sessions are recurring, that allows you up to 3 hours of tutoring each week.
- Some of the high demand courses may automatically be open to small groups. However, most tutoring sessions scheduled using our new system will be one-on-one appointments. If you prefer to work with a small group, you can let us know by emailing TutoringCenter@stonybrook.edu. We will then open the appointment for additional students to schedule. Please note that the ASTC always reserves the right to open appointments to small groups based on tutor availability and high course demand. If you already have a study group and would like to add a tutor to the group, complete the form for "Study Groups +1" below.
- Go to class, listen attentively, take notes, and address questions with your instructor to clarify any difficulties or problem areas
- Attempt to do your class assignments and practice problems before coming to your tutoring sessions
- Identify specific areas where help is needed prior to attending your session
- Come prepared with all necessary materials: class notes, textbooks, syllabus, handouts, paper, pencils, etc
- Be ready to actively participate in your tutoring session!
- Once the day and time for your tutoring session is confirmed, it is automatically scheduled as a recurring appointment. Therefore, you are expected to meet with your tutor every week on that day & time.
- The ASTC has tutors for a variety of courses. If your course is not listed as an option on the scheduling system, you will be directed to a webpage where you can inform us of your need. The ASTC will work with faculty and academic departments to identify a peer tutor for that course. If you are seeking assistance with a writing course, please visit the Writing Center.
- If you are unable to attend a tutoring appointment, you will need to use the online scheduling system to cancel the appointment at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled session. Failure to provide at least 24 hours notice will result in a “no-show.” Excessive lateness and/or three “no-shows” without 24 hours notice may result in loss of tutoring for all courses for the remainder of the semester.
Looking to schedule an appointment?
Simply watch the quick video tutorial below to learn how to schedule an appointment using our online scheduling system. Then, click the "Schedule an Appointment" located below the video.
Watch the quick video tutorial below to learn how to cancel an appointment. Please note: ASTC policy requires that students give at least 24 hours notice when canceling an appointment.
Already have a study group?
Click below to learn how to add a tutor to your existing study group.
We are currently accepting applications for undergraduate students wishing to become tutors for the Academic Success and Tutoring Center. Interested students should visit our Become a Tutor page.