Become a Tutor for the ASTC
Tutors help peers to succeed academically. They conduct tutoring sessions to clarify course content and provide study strategies. They are selected on the basis of academic skill, character, and the ability to communicate well with others.
- Must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate Stony Brook University student
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.20
- Must have attained a B+ or better in the course at Stony Brook
- Must be in good standing: No judicial or academic dishonesty charges
- Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills and a desire to assist fellow students
- Must provide a brief recommendation from the course instructor for each course that the student wishes to tutor (a short recommendation form can be found on our Recommend a Tutor webpage).
- Be willing to commit for the entire semester
- Attend and participate in tutor training sessions or meetings as required by the ASTC staff
- Maintain accurate, current, and complete records
- Actively participate in the ASTC’s evaluation process
- Adhere to ASTC policies and procedures
- Communicate in a timely fashion with students and ASTC staff
Students must submit an application to be a tutor. An application will not be considered if (a) the student does not meet minimum qualifications or (b) the ASTC does not receive a brief recommendation from the course instructor.
*Please note that tutors must have taken the course at Stony Brook University in order to qualify to tutor the course. Transfer and AP credit will not be accepted as equivalent experience. The ASTC will review the student’s record and transcript to verify the applicant’s information.
ASTC tutors will be compensated on a progressive scale from $10.50-$12.00/hr