Become a Tutor for the ASTC
Tutors help peers to succeed academically. They conduct tutoring sessions to clarify course content and provide study strategies. They are selected on the basis of academic skill, character, and the ability to communicate well with others.
- Must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate Stony Brook University student
OR a graduate student who completed the undergraduate course at SBU
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.20
- Must have attained a B+ or better in the course at Stony Brook
- Must be in good standing: No judicial or academic dishonesty charges
- Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills and a desire to assist fellow students
- Must provide a brief recommendation from the course instructor for each course that the student wishes to tutor (a short recommendation form can be found on our Recommend a Tutor webpage).
- You cannot be a current TA for the course that you wish to tutor.
- Be willing to commit for the entire semester
- Attend and participate in tutor training sessions or meetings as required by the ASTC staff
- Maintain accurate, current, and complete records
- Actively participate in the ASTC’s evaluation process
- Adhere to ASTC policies and procedures
- Communicate in a timely fashion with students and ASTC staff
Starting pay rate for ASTC tutors is $10.50/hr
APPLICATIONS are being accepted on a continuous basis.
Students must submit an application to be a tutor. An application will not be considered if (a) the student does not meet minimum qualifications or (b) the ASTC does not receive a brief recommendation from the course instructor.
*Please note that tutors must have taken the course (or its equivalent) at Stony Brook University in order to qualify to tutor the course, with the exception of introductory MAT courses (see special note below). Transfer and AP credit will not be accepted as equivalent experience. The ASTC will review the student’s record and transcript to verify the applicant’s information.If you are interested in applying, complete the ASTC Tutoring Application and have your course instructor complete the required Faculty Recommendation Form.
*Special Recommendation Requirements for CHEMISTRY: If you would like to tutor Chemistry, your recommendation needs to come from one of the following individuals:
CHE 130: Troy Wolfskill
General Chemistry: Bradford Tooker or Troy Wolfskill
Organic Chemistry: Zachary Katsamanis
*Special Recommendation Requirements for MATH: If you would like to tutor an introductory MAT course but were placed in a higher-level course, your recommendation needs to come from one of your math professors and must include a list of the introductory MAT courses the instructor feels you are qualified to tutor.
*Special Recommendation Requirements for BIO 203: If you would like to tutor BIO 203, it is highly advised that you have also taken and done well in BIO 328.