1. How can the ASTC assist students in my course
- Tutoring sessions provide an opportunity to supplement what your students learn in class. The session allows them to meet with a tutor, either one-on-one or in a small group, to review course material and to ask questions. Tutoring should always be used in conjunction with instructor’s and TA’s office hours. The purpose of a tutor is to guide and explain concepts so that students can obtain the skills to fully integrate course material. A tutor will not complete assignments, exams, or projects.
- Tutors and students set and develop strategies to achieve academic goals.
- To become a tutor for the ASTC, students must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.20
- B+ or better in the course they wish to tutor
- Completed the course at SBU
- Be in good standing at SBU
- Obtain a recommendation from course instructor
Yes! We welcome any recommendations for outstanding students. All you have to do is complete our Faculty Recommendation Form
- Yes. Please contact the ASTC to discuss what options are available to support your class.
- ASTC tutors go through a comprehensive training program to ensure that they have the skills to assist their peers while upholding academic integrity at Stony Brook University.
As part of our application process, students are required to submit a brief recommendation from the instructor of the course that they want to tutor. The recommendations are kept confidential and are not shared with the student. The recommendation can be submitted via our short web form or inter-office mail using our pdf.