Competition Dates: February 2, 2014 to March 29, 2014
Stony Brook University is one of 600+ universities internationally to participate in RecycleMania 2014, which pits colleges and universities to compete for bragging rights over which institution can reduce, reuse and recycle the most waste and live sustainably. Over an eight-week period from February 2 to March 29, participating schools compete in various categories measuring the success of their recycling, waste reduction and sustainability efforts.
- A fair and friendly recycling and sustainability competition.
- Increase participation in Stony Brook University's recycling and sustainability programs.
- Heighten awareness in the field of recycling and resource management.
- Decrease the University's carbon footprint and impact on the environment.
- Decrease the quantity of waste generated by reducing, reusing and recycling.
Current RecycleMania Statistics
Note: RecycleMania statistics may change week-to-week depending on quantity fluctuations and are not made final until April 2014.
Second Annual RecycleMania Photo Contest
In order to promote RecycleMania 2014, the Stony Brook University's Department of Recycling & Resource Management is sponsoring the University's second annual RecycleMania photo contest. SBU students are encouraged to submit photos of students participating in recycling following our theme of "Live Sustainably. Choose to Recycle." Each week the Department of Recycling & Resource Management will select a winning photo that will be used in its publications and marketing materials. At the end of RecycleMania, weekly photo winners will be entered to win prizes and final event winners will be announced after March 29, 2014.
For past photo contest winners, please see the RecycleMania 2013 webpage.
What recyclables count in the RecycleMania competition?
The RecycleMania competition focuses on recycling all of the following products:
- Bottles & Cans, Including Plastic Types #1-7
- Paper & Shredded Paper
- Electronics & E-Waste (Electronics, Computers, Laptops, Used Cell Phones, etc.)
- Food Service Organics
Note: Only University-generated recyclables are permitted entry into the contest.
RecycleMania Results Categories
RecycleMania competition results are posted weekly over the span of 8-weeks and participants are ranked utilizing the following performance categories:
Gorilla (Weight) = Gross Tonnage of Paper + Cardboard + Bottles & Cans
Grand Champion (Ratio) = Recyclables / (Waste + Recyclables)
Per Capita Classic (Ratio) = Recyclables / Campus Population
Waste Minimization (Ratio) = (Recyclables + Waste) / Campus Population
Paper (Ratio) = Paper / Campus Population
Cardboard (Ratio) = Cardboard / Campus Population
Bottles & Cans (Ratio) = Bottles & Cans / Campus Population
Food Service Organics (Ratio) = Food Service Organics / Campus Population
Electronics / E-Waste = Gross Tonnage of E-Waste
Recyclemania 2013 - Stony Brook University Final Statistics
- Gorilla Category: 1st in New York State, #22 Nationwide Out Of 365
- Total Weight of Recyclables = 526,733 Pounds
- Per Capita Ratio (Weight of Recyclables Per Person) : 15.06%
- Waste Minimization Ratio (Recyclables + Waste / Campus Population): 75.48%
- Grand Champion Ratio (Recyclables / [Waste + Recyclables] ): 19.95%
Sustainability & Recycling Tips
- Recycle all mixed paper (includes books, periodicals, magazines, etc.)
- Recycle bottles & cans, including all plastic types #1-7.
- Organize an office or Department "spring cleaning". Contact the Department of Recycling & Resource Management at (631) 632-9297 or (631) 632-6400 in order to request large recycling receptacles for your work location.
- Help spread the word! Encourage your colleagues and friends to recycle too!
- Missing a recycling receptacle? Contact the Office of Sustainability at (631) 632-9297 or (631) 632-6400 to request a recycling receptacle.
- Close the loop and use recycled paper.
- Share journal subscriptions with others.
- Contact senders of junk mail and ask them to have your name removed from their list.
- Place intra-office memos on a central bulletin board.
- E-mail whenever possible.
- Use and reuse intra-office messenger envelopes.
- Set up printers and copiers in energy saving modes. Centralized managed output devices (printers, copiers, etc.) should be defaulted for double-sided copying.
- Turn off lights and buy energy efficient (energy star rating) appliances.
- Use your own mug instead of disposable cups.
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers.
- Buy a thermos.
- Reuse scrap paper.
Stony Brook University - RecycleMania 2014 Contest Flyers
For more information on the Department of Recycling & Resource Management, please contact us at: (631) 632-9297 or via email at: email@example.com.
For more information on the Stony Brook University Office of Sustainability, please contact us at: (631) 632-6219, or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the RecycleMania competition, please visit www.recyclemaniacs.org