Competition Dates: February 3, 2013 to March 30, 2013
Stony Brook University is one of 600+ universities internationally to participate in "RecycleMania 2013," which pits colleges and universities to compete for stewardship bragging rights over which institution can reduce, reuse and recycle the most waste. Over an eight-week period from February 3 to March 30, participating schools compete in various categories measuring the success of their recycling, waste reduction and sustainability efforts.
- A fair and friendly recycling and sustainability competition.
- Increase participation in Stony Brook University's recycling and sustainability programs.
- Heighten awareness in the field of recycling and resource management.
- Decrease the University's carbon footprint and impact on the environment
- Decrease the quantity of waste generated by reducing, reusing and recycling.
New For RecycleMania 2013
In order to promote RecycleMania 2013, the Stony Brook University Office of Sustainability and FSA are sponsoring a "Photo Contest". SBU students are encouraged to submit photos of students participating in recycling following our theme of "Live Sustainably. Choose to Recycle." Submitted photos will be entered to win prizes and winners will be announced after March 30, 2013. For more information, please see our flyer here.
What recyclables count in the RecycleMania competition?
The RecycleMania competition focuses on recycling all of the following products:
- Bottles & Cans, Including Plastic Types #1-7
- Paper & Shredded Paper
- Electronics / E-Waste (Electronics, Computers, Laptops, Used Cell Phones, etc.)
- Food Service Organics
RecycleMania Results Categories
RecycleMania competition results are posted weekly over the span of 8-weeks and participants are ranked utilizing the following
Gorilla (Weight) = Gross Tonnage of Paper + Cardboard + Bottles & Cans
Grand Champion (Ratio) = Recyclables / (Waste + Recyclables)
Per Capita Classic (Ratio) = Recyclables / Campus Population
Waste Minimization (Ratio) = (Recyclables + Waste) / Campus Population
Paper (Ratio) = Paper / Campus Population
Cardboard (Ratio) = Cardboard / Campus Population
Bottles & Cans (Ratio) = Bottles & Cans / Campus Population
Food Service Organics (Ratio) = Food Service Organics / Campus Population
Electronics / E-Waste = Gross Tonnage of E-Waste
Recyclemania 2012 - Stony Brook University Final Statistics
- Gorilla Category: 1st in New York State, #17 out of 296 Nationwide
- Total Weight of Recyclables = 642,058 Pounds
- Per Capita Ratio (Weight of Recyclables Per Person) : 19.26%
- Waste Minimization Ratio (Recyclables + Waste / Campus Population): 88.29%
- Grand Champion Ratio (Recyclables / [Waste + Recyclables] ): 21.81%
RecycleMania 2013 Final Results
RecycleMania 2013 End of Week 7 Results
RecycleMania 2013 End of Week 6 Results
RecycleMania 2013 End of Week 5 Results
RecycleMania 2013 Photo Contest
Sustainability & Recycling Tips
- Recycle all mixed paper (includes books, periodicals, magazines, etc.)
- Recycle bottles & cans, including all plastic types #1-7.
- Organize an office or Department "spring cleaning". Contact the Office of Sustainability at (631) 632-9297 or (631) 632-6400in order to request large recycling receptacles for your work location.
- Help spread the word! Encourage your colleagues and friends to recycle too!
- Missing a recycling receptacle? Contact the Office of Sustainability at (631) 632-9297 or (631) 632-6400 to request a recycling receptacle.
- Close the loop and use recycled paper with 35% post-consumer content or higher.
- Share journal subscriptions with others.
- Contact senders of junk mail and ask them to have your name removed from their list.
- Place intra-office memos on a central bulletin board.
- E-mail whenever possible.
- Use and reuse intra-office messenger envelopes.
- Set up printers and copiers in energy saving modes. Centralized managed output devices (printers, copiers, etc.) should be defaulted for double-sided copying.
- Turn off lights and buy energy efficient (energy star rating) appliances.
- Use your own mug instead of disposable cups.
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers.
- Buy a thermos.
- Reuse scrap paper.
Stony Brook University - RecycleMania 2013 Contest Flyers
For more information on the Stony Brook University Office of Sustainability, please contact us at: (631) 632-6219, or via email at: email@example.com.
For more information on the RecycleMania competition, please visit www.recyclemaniacs.org