Competition Dates: January 17, 2010 to March 27, 2010 (Ten Weeks)
- A fair and friendly recycling competition.
- Increase recycling participation by students and staff.
- Heighten awareness of school's waste management and recycling programs.
- Expand economic opportunities while addressing environmental issues in a positive way.
- Ultimately lower waste generated on-campus by reducing, reusing and recycling.
Stony Brook University has joined RecycleMania, a national recycling and waste minimization competition involving 600 + colleges and universities. In order for us to do well, we need everyone's help!
What Can You Do?
- Recycle all your mixed paper (includes books, periodicals, magazines, etc.)
- Recycle bottles and cans.
- Organize an office or department clean out of mixed paper. Contact the Department of Recycling and Resource Management at (631) 632-9297 to request large recycling bins.
- Help spread the word! Encourage your colleagues and friends to recycle too!
- Missing a recycling bin? Call the Recycling Hotline at (631) 632-1514 and request new blue bin(s).
- Close the loop and use recycled paper with 35% post-consumer content or higher.
- Share journal subscriptions with others.
- Contact senders of junk mail and ask them to have your name removed from their list.
- Place intra-office memos on a central bulletin board.
- E-mail whenever possible.
- Maintain a central filing system.
- Use and reuse intra-office messenger envelopes.
- Set up printers and copiers in energy saving modes. Copiers can be defaulted for double-sided copying.
- Turn off lights and other electronics, and buy energy efficient (energy star rating) appliances.
- Use your own mug instead of disposable cups.
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers.
- Buy a thermos.
- Reuse scrap paper.
- Recycle your ink jet cartridges, cell phones, and toner catridges. Send via inter-office mail to: Department of Recycling/Resource Management zip: 6551.
- For empty toner cartridges, please contact Joyce Carr at: (631) 632-6375 to arrange for a pickup.
Visit www.recyclemaniacs.org for more information and weekly updates on competition results.