We strongly believe that all CME undergraduates should gain working knowledge of chemical engineering to relate theory learnt in the classroom with practical experience. Our close relationship with Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), located within a short distance from the Stony Brook University campus and regional industry are valuable resources to provide students with internship opportunities and fellowships. Starting 2007, we have made internships mandatory for students in the summer prior to entering the senior year. This practice will serve students manifold: 1) an opportunity to work in real industry or research environment, 2) hands-on experience, 3) applying knowledge of chemical engineering. For students in their junior and senior years, the Summer 2007 internship placement record is as follows:
- Mittal Steel in Pennsylvania. Steel processing.
- Suffolk County Water Authority of Long Island, New York. Monitoring Water test wells in the area.
- Koehler Industries in Bohemia, Long Island, New York. Developing test instrumentation for petroleum and biomass applications.
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). Research Topic: Biodiesel production and characterization.
- Prestigious DOE sponsored Summer Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI) award to work at BNL. Working on Geothermal mineral extractions.
- Highly competitive Battelle Fellowship to work at BNL. Research project: biocatalysis.
The College of Engineering and Applied Sciences (CEAS) in tandem with the University Career Center implement an internship program for CME students. Local high-technology and engineering firms hire students for summer internships as well as part-time work during the academic year. This valuable hands-on training prepares students to enter the workforce after they graduate.To find out more about internship possibilities:
Contact the CEAS at firstname.lastname@example.org
The following links can be used to find out more information about internship possibilities both on and off campus.
URECA (Undergraduate Research & Creative Activities)
WISE (Women in Science & Engineering)
CTSR (Center for Thermal Spray Research)
REU (Research Experiences for Undergraduates)
SULI (Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships)
Stony Brook Career Center