Welcome, School of Nursing Alums!
Dear School of Nursing Grads,
Serving as President of the Stony Brook School of Nursing Alumni Board for the past two years has been both gratifying and challenging. Our mission has always been to build a strong and lasting relationship with our present and future alums by providing support for our current students and advancing the interests of professionalism in Nursing. With the support of the Board members many goals have been met.
Over the past two years we have:
- Continued to expand and strengthen the "Lunch and Learn" program, a bi-annual event for students that first addresses stress and relaxation and then transitioning from the role of the student to the role of a professional nurse.
- Developed a mentoring program to support new graduates as they navigate the demanding role of practicing as a professional nurse.
- Created an inaugural e-Newsletter which will address topics of interest for both the student and the alumni with a number of photos. (We think you will be pleased with its presentation!)
- Collaborated with the Department of Continuing Education to present an educational opportunity to earn continuing education credits. We plan on this being a bi-annual event.
But we still need you to get involved!Continue Reading...
You can get connected in one of the following ways:
- Keeping us updated on you and your classmates — news about your career, life events and any other information you would like to share with your fellow alumni
- Joining us at one of our upcoming events
- Participating in our HOST (Help Our Students Travel) program
- Becoming a Board Member or Committee Member
- Considering a gift to support The Nursing Student Scholarship Fund
The SON Alumni Board is a dynamic group of colleagues who are smart, creative and fun. Join us as good things are happening for your Stony Brook School of Nursing and for you, a Stony Brook School of Nursing alum.
Patricia B. Jacobowitz BS '79, MS '86, DNP '09
Distinguished Alumni Awards
2015 School of Nursing Award Recipient
Barbara M. Mills, DNP ’09 is the recipient of the 2015 School of Nursing Distinguished Alumni Award. Dr. Mills has made and continues to make significant contributions to the profession of Nursing through outstanding practice, research and community involvement. She has transformed the Rapid Response program at Stony Brook University Hospital to one that is imitated throughout the nation. Dr. Mills will be honored for her accomplishments and offer the keynote address during an all-day symposium on April 1, 2016.View Story
School of Nursing Alumni Board
Janice Fleischman-Eaton, BS/MS '08
Emily Cheng, BSN '15
Adriann Combs, BS '13
Antoinette (Tonie) Forster, MS '99, DNP '09
SBU Campus Representative
Patricia B. Jacobowitz, BS '79, MS '86, DNP '09
Marret Anderson, MS '13
D. Bonnie Astor, BS ’73, MSN
Ronn M. Callada, BS ’09, MS '13
Derek Cope, BSN '14
Charlie Davis, BS '14
Tracy Dourdounas, MS '09
Debra Grimm, BS '04
Thomas L. Hardie, EdD, RN '82, MS '86
Diane Hitchings-Tiernan, BS '72, MS, PD, LMFT
Margaret M. Kelly, BS '77
Samara Kravitz, BS '15
Gene Mundie, MS '01
Carlo Piraino, BS '91
Smitha Mary Thotam, MS '11, ANP
Tiffany Gallucci, BS '13
Dr. Lee Xippolitos, BS '81, MS '85
Dean, School of Nursing
School of Nursing Alumni Mentoring Program
Members of the School of Nursing Alumni Board will mentor Stony Brook School of Nursing recent graduates (graduates of the last five years) as part of the School of Nursing Alumni Mentoring Program. The volunteer alumni mentors are 'assigned' a mentee, who has been selected for the program, in order to provide meaningful support, increase the grad's knowledge of the occupation and ease their transition from nursing school to career.
Are you an alum who is interested in volunteering? Are you a student who wants to connect with an alumni volunteer?
If you have any questions, please contact Mary Hoffmann at 631-632-4995 or email@example.com.
Academic and Clinical Success
You can play a part in shaping the academic and clinical success of the next generation of Registered & Advanced Practice Nurses.
You can play an important part in supporting Stony Brook's alumni funds:
Want to volunteer to plan your own class reunion?Volunteer
Explore All Chapters & Groups
- New England - Boston Alumni Chapter
- NYC Alumni Chapter
- New Jersey Alumni Chapter
- Northern California Alumni Chapter
- Washington, DC Alumni Chapter
- School of Professional Development
- College of Business
- Black & Latino Alumni Network
- The Founders Alumni Group
- LGBTQ Alumni Group
- Student Ambassador Alumni Network
- Public Policy Alumni Network
- School of Medicine
- School of Dental Medicine
- School of Social Welfare
- School of Nursing