go home

Petition Process


The information below applies to students in the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, School of Journalism, School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, and Sustainability Studies Program.

Petition requests include late additions of courses, late registration, late withdrawals, retaking courses for the third or more time, requests for credit overloads and underloads, late credit or section changes, waiver of the waiting period, academic renewal, and conditional reinstatement from suspension.  More details on each request are listed under the “Types of Petitions”.

If you wish to request an exception to University policy, you should not assume, or accept the word of anyone, that your petition will be approved.  Upon submission, your petition will be reviewed by the Executive Officer, Professor Clifford Huffman.  If your petition is not approved by the Executive Officer, you may submit a written appeal for consideration by the full Committee on Academic Standing and Appeals (CASA) which includes faculty and staff representatives.  You may not make a personal appearance at the CASA committee meeting.

Note:  Some academic matters may not be petitioned, including G/P/NC designations, changing a grade in individual courses, cancelling a semester, and/or removing a withdrawal (W) from an academic transcript.  If you wish to grieve a grade in a particular course, please refer to the following information here.

Petition Process

If you wish to submit a petition for one of the categories listed under “Types of Petitions”, please follow the steps below:

  1. Consult with your academic advisor noted below to obtain a petition and receive guidance:

  2. Academic and Transfer Advising Services (sophomores, juniors, seniors, and transfer students in CAS, COB, SOJ, SOMAS, HANBS Health Science majors) -E-2360 Melville Library, (631)632-7082, option 2
    EOP/AIM – W-3520 Melville Library, (631) 632-7090
    Honors College – N-3071 Melville Library, (631) 632-4378
    Student-Athletes – Student Athlete Development Office, Gymnasium, (631) 632-4952
    Undergraduate Colleges (freshmen) – N-3071 Melville Library, (631) 632-4378
    University Scholars – N-3071 Melville Library, (631) 632-4378
    WISE – 220 Engineering Building – (631) 632-6947

  3. Carefully and legibly complete the information on the front page of the petition.
  4. If you are an international student on an F-1 or J-1 visa, you must obtain the signature of an international student advisor on your petition.  Please see your advisor in Visa and Immigration Services in E-5310 Melville Library.

  5. Type a well-written, double-spaced letter (no more than 2 pages) that explains the circumstances of the request and include letters of support relevant to the statements included in your letter.  Supporting documents can include a number of different kinds of materials, depending on your circumstances.   

  6. The following is a list of potential supporting documents:

    • Academic documentation - i.e. copies of official transcripts or explanatory letters from academic departments or instructors
    • Medical documentation - i.e. a doctor’s note, hospital records, letter from a mental health counselor/therapist on letterhead
    • Legal documentation - i.e. accident report, legal summons, court documentation, obituary or death notice, police report
    • Financial documentation - i.e. student loan or financial aid information, pay stubs, documentation of financial hardship
    • Letters of support - i.e. from employers or instructors

    Note:  Original documents are not required.  Legible, unmodified photocopies are acceptable.  All documentation is kept confidential. 

  7. Make a copy of the materials for your own records.

  8. Attach all supporting materials to the petition and submit the completed petition in person, via mail, or via fax to:

  9. Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs
    E-3310 Melville Library
    Stony Brook University
    Stony Brook, NY  11794-3351

    Telephone:  (631) 632-7080
    Fax:  (631) 632-9259
    Office Hours:  Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.; summer hours on Fridays are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.

  10. Your petition will be reviewed by the Executive Officer for Academic Standing and Appeals.  A decision will usually be made within 3-5 business days. For reasons of confidentiality, petition outcomes are not available over the phone.  You will be contacted to pick up any approved petitions in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs. Approved petitions must be processed by the deadlines noted under each category in “Types of Petitions”.

If your petition is approved, you must first pay a $20 petition fee in person at the Bursar's Office, 261 Administration Building. Please ensure you do not have any outstanding bills to your account with Student Accounts (i.e., bursar hold). Then bring the petition to the Registrar’s Office, 276 Administration Building, for processing.  There are additional fees associated with the following approved requests:

Late registration:  $50 fee
Conditional reinstatement from suspension or dismissal:  $50 fee (inclusive of the $20 petition fee)
Rematriculation (for students away 4 or more consecutive fall/spring semesters):  $50 fee

Note that these fees are subject to change.  For more details, visit the Bursar's Office, here.

If your petition has been denied and you believe you have grounds for an appeal to the Committee on Academic Standing and Appeals, please see your academic advisor to obtain a new petition and receive guidance in preparing the additional documentation.  You may also consult with the Executive Officer, Professor Clifford Huffman, in the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs, E-3310 Melville Library, during his office hours.  Please call (631) 632-7080 for Dr. Huffman’s weekly office hours.